Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 68 300 deluxe with the window posts. Car is in real nice shape for the price i got it, but i was just wondering how big of a project it is to remove the window posts. Would I have to get the other style doors and replace the rear glass after removing the post. Has anyone attempted this?

·
Administrator
16,171 Posts
It won't work! I'll trade you for a similiar hardtop model or buy it from you. I've been trying to find a post car for years.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 11-03-99).]

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Theoretically it would work, but in real life it would entail some strange window flange welding. I don't think it would be practical. I do believe the window frame & vent window is detachable from the door if you want to disassemble it (screws and maybe a weld or two).
Personally I'd want to keep a 300 coupe (post) alive. The body is slightly stronger than the hardtop, too!

·
Registered
166 Posts
You could probably buy a 68 hard top for what it would cost to convert the sedan to a hard top. Then you could have two chevelles. I agree with the other guys, post sedans are rare, so it's not a great idea to hack one up.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
You guys are making me feel real bad about the one owner 66 300 deluxe I hacked up a few years ago for parts! I didnt think there was any interest in the post cars, but that was before I became part of Team Chevelle..I wont do it again I promise!

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't realize that post cars were rarities. I figured there would be a ton of these things considering they were base models, but maybe they just didn't survive? The car isn't worth anything more because it's a 300, or is it? You guys got me all fired up that I get something special here, let me know what you think.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't think it's worth more than a 2-dr hard top, I just think that it's a rarer car. The hard tops were more desirable, and therefore more of them survived than the post models.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
622 Posts
HEY ! are you buying this car as an investment or for fun and recreation ??If you like the style , keep it and make it like you want it. If it is an investment, try Krugarands or diamonds, they appreciate faster. Why are so many people on this site worried about "VALUE" at any time other than buying or selling??? Even then, if it is worth the price to you, BUY IT, if not, DON"T.FORGET WHAT OTHERS THINK, IT IS YOUR CAR!!!

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough to do it over?
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
From a production standpoint, it is a rare car. Less than 5% of all the Chevelles made in 68 were Post Sedans.

If you want a non-post car, I think you'd be better off in the long run by selling this one and looking for another. That would be far easier and less expensive than trying to convert it over.

Kurt
68 300 Deluxe Post

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/~68_chevelle/Chevelle/Info.html
Email: [email protected]
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

[This message has been edited by Byfield (edited 11-04-99).]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the opinions guys. It wasn't so much that I didn't like the posts, i'd just never seen them before and my 69 is a malibu, so it doesn't have them. I will admit that they are growing on me, and the sawzall will probably stay on the shelf far away from my window posts. Right now the car's screaming for me to take off the puny tires on their now and toss the straight six and powerglide in favor of my 350/700r4. I'll let you know how things work out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.