Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where to post this topic, so I put it here.

I have a 72 El Camino. The horn sounds like it is only emitting the low tone. I thought that I would just go to the junk yard and get the high tone horn.

I just found out that the 72 only has a single horn.

How do I fix my current horn? Or, do I have to get a replacement?

Thanks,

Tom.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i think these had the two-tone built in. one thing to try,on the back there is a small screw try turning it out or in a little bit and see if that works.have done this before. to fix a non-working horn.hope this helps.JIMK

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you really want to fix the wimpiness, just get ahold of one of the older long tube dual style horns that is from a car that ran off 6 volts. Run this puppy at 12 volts and people will think a train is coming right at them!

------------------
70 Impala Sport Coupe (350)
67 Chevelle (I wish, still looking and saving)
http://www.geocities.com/ledsled_26m

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got some time to work in the garage.

I turned the screw. I was only able to turn it out. It did make the horn louder, but it did not change the tone of the horn.

I think that I am still missing the high tone?

Lesled, that's the perfect solution for the commuter. Blow a horn like that after someone cuts you off! I wonder how many people would get to work and have to change their shorts?

Thanks,

Tom.

·
Registered
341 Posts
GM used two "notes" on the horns, an A and an F. Look on your old horn and the note is right on the horn. If you have an A horn then go get a F horn so it sounds good when you use the horns. Two horns with the same note just doesn't sound right in my opinion.
Old Cadillacs used three horns but I don't remember what the third note was.

------------------
Never be afraid to try something new.
An amatuer built the Ark,
Professionals built the Titanic.
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Rode shotgun in the ONLY Z16 convertible made.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nah, go with the Amtrak horn...
I was there when Ledsled lit that thing off. It made my ears bleed and all the dogs in a twelve block radius wet themselves!!!
What was that out of anyway 'Sled?

JC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts