Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will The #NEW# Gas Affect....My 307 '69 chevelle motor???? What about the CRAP with
Ethanol in it????
Cliff

'69 conv. and loving every minute of it

·
Super Moderator
16,149 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "new" gas, but if you mean unleaded it depends. If your 307 is original and untouched or has been rebuilt but did NOT receive hardened valve seats when the heads were done it will NOT like unleaded gas. Older engines (pre-1971 in GM terms) require leaded fuel or at the very least lead additive or lead substitute to continue to run properly. Running a lead-required engine on unleaded will not immediately damage the engine, but it will destroy the heads and valves over time.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
are you talking about "reformulated" gas?? with MTBE in it? it will not really hurt anything it just burnes LESS clean and getts LESS MPG and is POISONING the environment, wont' be long before they get rid of it, especially with it being a gov. mandate to use it and only 1 company has the pattent on it.....

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site

·
Registered
659 Posts
As far as leaded vs. unleaded, I have read that cars that require leaded gas to lube the valves don't really need a lot of lead. I have heard that putting lead additive in a tank of gas every 5 to 10 tanks (if I remember correctly) will provide sufficient lead for any engine.

If your talking about the reformulated stuff like CHEV-HELL is talking about, if it tears your engine up, it will tear up a lot of others too. Save your gas receipts, maybe you can get in on a class-action suit

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

[This message has been edited by cperrell (edited 05-28-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.