Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished up replacing the front end suspension. I need a quick answer about using my column shift when I convert from a PG to a ‘87 Monte 200-4R tranny. Will it work? I read that I won’t be able to use 1st gear only which is O.K. with me. Anyone (’66 or ’67) did this conversion using the same column shift or do I need to purchase a kit? Where do you get the kit? Thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did search on 200R4 conversion and found great info on this but if anyone want to add to this better yet. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I put the 200r4 in my 81 malibu that was equipped with the th350c. Anyway i bought a 4spd column for the car but after i put the box in the car i hooked up the factory linkage and everything worked fine all gears and detents ( go figure) Still hooked up that way 2 yrs now. Try and hook it to factory linkage first.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
On my 69 with 700r4 and a PG column the linkage just needed adjustment, the pointer rests to the left of "D" when in OD and is just visible when in 1st. Also, the detents are built into the transmissions not the columns. Hope this helps.

Jimmy H.
69 Malibu

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
don't know about yours but on my other 70, it wouldn't go below 2nd gear, it needs more play, so if you just drive and don't need to drop it down below 2nd, it will work just use the PG linkage including the small "U" on the side.

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(oo|ss|oo)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the small "U" on the side of the tranny? Last night I looked at the PG linkage under the car and the one on the 200R4 (ready for the conversion). They look similar except the arm that is attached to the column shift is a little different.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If i m guessing correct you are looking the linkage attachment point. Use the one on the 200r4 and hook it to your stock linkage. You should be able to adjust the length of the factory rod. Keep us posted on how you make out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BobH,
Yes, I did look at the linkage attachment point. I'll try using the 200R4 linkage and use the stock arm. I'll keep everyone posted. Now I need to get me a new tranny cooler before I start the conversion.
Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.