Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a rock crusher compressor on this 70 malibu and i want to put a newer compressor on it so the vibration isn't soo back i may even put a late model pickup 350 in it with all the accesories attached (serpeintine belt etc.) and want to know if it would bolt up. this would convert the a/c (if applicable) and get a more powerfull modern,ez to work on v8 that gets better gas milage than my 307 but i will keep the edelbrock intake and carb on it. any input would be appreciated [email protected]

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just a note of interest, the old style AC compressor is/was designed to keep a B body (impala, caprice) COLD now put in a chevelle and it works like a deep freezer. The newer system (short compressor) is not as powerful or accepting of abuse.

My advice is keep the "log".

------------------
Francis Taracido
[email protected]
Proud Patron of Quadzilla
http://members.aol.com/sniper0666/page/index.html

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Quad's right. If it is going bad on you, replace it with a BRAND NEW one, not a rebuilt. Yes, they are big and heavy, but the best.

------------------

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree, i have never had much luck with the R4 compressors but i have never had any trouble with the A6. Is anybody using a sanden 508 if so do you like it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I work in the ac trade and the replacement refigerant for R-12 is R-134a. This is not a drop in replacement, you would need to change all of the seals, hoses, and compressor oil. R-134a is just as good as R-12 if not better.

·
Administrator
16,202 Posts
I agree with hoffa. I converted a 79 A body to 134 and it works well, even in Phoenix in the summer and the AC in my 96 ext cab truck will keep ice cream from melting. Philip

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Hey Hoffa. I have a cupple of questions for you.

1.) Whats it cost to have a ac system recharged?

2.) How do I know if I have R12 or R134a in my system.

3.) Doen't R134a Stink when the motor is under load? My father has an expedishion and if he goes up a long steep hill his a/c stinks?

Thanks

------------------
Hot66ss

66 ss
67 malibu
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262
Http://members.aol.com/chvellss

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Hey Hoffa. I have a cupple of questions for you.

1.) Whats it cost to have a ac system recharged?

2.) How do I know if I have R12 or R134a in my system.

3.) Doen't R134a Stink when the motor is under load? My father has an expedishion and if he goes up a long steep hill his a/c stinks?

Thanks

------------------
Hot66ss

66 ss
67 malibu
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262
Http://members.aol.com/chvellss

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I also work with a/c systems.In the early days of retroing systems it was recommended to change all the seals and hoses. However, now Everco sells a retro kit that comes with new charging ports and oil, not seals and hoses. The only additional thing that they recommened, would be to change the accumulator (receiver/drier).After you've followed the instruction carefully for the retro and changed the accumulator, you're a/c system will be just fine.

BTW, cost to recharge a/c system with R-12, $34.95 plus gas @$50.00 lb. Cost with R134 $34.95 plus gas @$25.00 lb.

If you have r12 system, charging ports would be small type. R134 has larger ports.

R134 doesn't have any odor inside the vehicle. I don't think it has an odor at all.

------------------
Joe Giniel
72 Chevelle SS
Team Chevelle #143
Aces #03056

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.