Team Chevelle banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Edlebrock Torquer II is shorter than the RPM I think. When measuring intakes for height put a level or some sort of straight edge on the carb surface, hook your tape measure on the bottom front of the intake and measure up. Not from the table to the level. I have a few old intakes I will measure later.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can’t comment on your fit question. I used an 1 1/4” K&N drop base #85-3549 grafted to an aftermarket Ram Air air cleaner base to make the ram air work in my Firebird w/BBC and Air Gap manifold. K&N drop base was the nicest I’ve ever seen. Good stamping and heavy gauge. If looking at drop bases, look at K&N. Seem to recall them having several bases with different amount of drop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Edlebrock Torquer II is shorter than the RPM I think. When measuring intakes for height put a level or some sort of straight edge on the carb surface, hook your tape measure on the bottom front of the intake and measure up. Not from the table to the level. I have a few old intakes I will measure later.
I'd forgotten about the Torker II manifold. If the numbers on Summit's website are right it's over an inch shorter than the Performer RPM. I'm not crazy about the look of the Torker II but it is an option. Its a matter of personal taste but it looks to me like the runners on the Torker II are too narrow, it just looks odd.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got busy yesterday and forgot to measure. I ran into the 11's with this torquer 2 on a 427 with 456 gears.
I must say you're making a good case for the Torker II. The rpm range starts higher than I'd like but being an oval port and single plane I think it would be a better choice. Primarily the car will be a cruiser but I do want it to have some power.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,999 Posts
I'm pretty sure those websites measure from the center of the carb pad unless they post front & rear measurements

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,999 Posts
I've used crumbled alum foil to check clearance, tape's a great idea to keep from rubbing paint off 👍👍

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Got busy yesterday and forgot to measure. I ran into the 11's with this torquer 2 on a 427 with 456 gears.
You must be one of the few that have run good with the torker II intake. Both times I tried one the engines were mutts, but the old canted carb pad torker 2-0 from the 70's blew the new torker II out of the water performance wise.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I loved the look of those.
You know what else fits under most hoods? A Holley BBC strip dominator intake, now that's still a good single plane intake manifold that performs well to this day.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
How would it perform compared to my Performer RPM non air gap?
I can only give you my results from 2019 with the two intakes.
RPM Performer non- air gap with 1" open spacer [email protected]
Holley Strip Dominator ported plenum with a 2" 4 hole tapered spacer [email protected]

Both were pretty close and I was surprised when the Holley hung on so well with the RPM Performer, so for my combo at the time it was a wash. Both good intakes IMO.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts