Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am slowly gathering parts to put a 496 stroker in my '69 Chevelle. The engine I'm building is a standard deck 454 block. I've been considering using the Edelbrock Performer RPM or RPM Air Gap intake manifold. I will be using a Holley Double Pumper carb and a standard 14" by 3" air filter, preferably without a drop base. My car has an SS hood. Will this fit under the hood? If not, what do I need to change? If so, is there room for a carb spacer?

As an alternative, I've been looking at the Professional Products Crosswind intake manifold which Summit claims is about half an inch shorter than the Performer RPM and RPM Air Gap manifolds. As far as I can tell from the pictures the Crosswind is almost identical to the RPM Air Gap. Can anybody verify that to be true?

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
11,012 Posts
It also depends on what you have for your carb cable bracket, I have a deep Corvette type drop base but my cable bracket hits the base so I'm using some cheapo chrome drop base (less drop) and it clears, I have a standard deck 489 with an Eddy AG intake and 2 diff. Holley carbs, 850 & 1000 HP, I also had to remove the 1" spacer the engine was dynoed with for hood clearance, BTW 68 Malibu with an SS hood & energy Susp. mounts, K&N 3"X14" open filter, I used some crinkled up alum foil crumpled into a wad and laid it on the front of the filter lid then slowly closed the hood to find my clearance

·
Registered
928 Posts
Do you happen to know if the Trans-Dapt 2463 drop base will work? Summit shows it as a 1" drop
1" drop wasn't enough on my car.

I've got some pictures of what I finally ended up using with the air gap manifold. I've since switched to a Winter's snow flake manifold which is 3/8" lower. I hope this is helpful. My car is a 68 SS big block also utilizing a Double pumper holley.

Material property Gas Household hardware Lock Metal

Scale Audio equipment Rim Gas Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive tire Office ruler Tread Ruler

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It also depends on what you have for your carb cable bracket, I have a deep Corvette type drop base but my cable bracket hits the base so I'm using some cheapo chrome drop base (less drop) and it clears, I have a standard deck 489 with an Eddy AG intake and 2 diff. Holley carbs, 850 & 1000 HP, I also had to remove the 1" spacer the engine was dynoed with for hood clearance, BTW 68 Malibu with an SS hood & energy Susp. mounts, K&N 3"X14" open filter, I used some crinkled up alum foil crumpled into a wad and laid it on the front of the filter lid then slowly closed the hood to find my clearance
I was considering the Lokar XTCB-4150 cable bracket to keep things looking clean. I'm starting to thing that won't be feasible though. Your setup sounds a lot like what I had in mind.
1" drop wasn't enough on my car.

I've got some pictures of what I finally ended up using with the air gap manifold. I've since switched to a Winter's snow flake manifold which is 3/8" lower. I hope this is helpful. My car is a 68 SS big block also utilizing a Double pumper holley.
I'll look into that manifold, hopefully it will be suitable. I was afraid I'd have to cobble together an air cleaner assembly but I was hoping I'd get lucky and the Trans-Dapt 1" drop would be exactly what I'd need. It's the only one I've found so far with a stainless top instead of chrome.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
11,012 Posts
I was considering the Lokar XTCB-4150 cable bracket to keep things looking clean. I'm starting to thing that won't be feasible though. Your setup sounds a lot like what I had in mind.

I'll look into that manifold, hopefully it will be suitable. I was afraid I'd have to cobble together an air cleaner assembly but I was hoping I'd get lucky and the Trans-Dapt 1" drop would be exactly what I'd need. It's the only one I've found so far with a stainless top instead of chrome.
I'll be working on my car this weekend and post a few pics of both drop bases I have and the cable bracket I'm using, maybe it'll help you buy something that'll work

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I had a hood clearance issue with my '69 SS396 El Camino. It has an Eldelbrock Performer RPM Q-Jet intake with a Moroso drop base 14 X 3" air filter and it just barely hit the bracing under the stock SS hood. The height of the Performer RPM Q-Jet and regular Performer RPM are the same. It was mostly when the engine moved and I have stiff poly engine mounts so they don't move much. I went to a 2-3/4" K&N filter to gain the needed clearance.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
When I had my 69 Chevelle with a 396 those old Cast Iron intakes were as tall as Air Gap intakes are now. I used the GM drop base air cleaner and a AC-212-CW air filter, fit perfect under most GM cars I ever owned. Make sure it's the GM one as the top has the little recess in it for the wing nut that aftermarket air cleaners don't have.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Do you happen to know if the Trans-Dapt 2463 drop base will work? Summit shows it as a 1" drop
Don’t use those, get a L-88 style drop base with a domed lid. It will give you more room and will flow a lot better than the trans dapt. Then you can get the tallest filter. I had a 4 inch filter on my car with a Victor Jr.. You can also pay attention to the mounts. To get the engine lower. I used the 62500 on my Chevelle to lower the engine.

Automotive design Line Font Automotive exterior Parallel

·
Premium Member
1966 Chevelle S.S
613 Posts
Don’t use those, get a L-88 style drop base with a domed lid. It will give you more room and will flow a lot better than the trans dapt. Then you can get the tallest filter. I had a 4 inch filter on my car with a Victor Jr.. You can also pay attention to the mounts. To get the engine lower. I used the 62500 on my Chevelle to lower the engine.

View attachment 749549
L-88 drop base do you know the part number, or what year car had them?

·
Super Moderator
2,358 Posts
I needed this type of GM air cleaner with my Performer RPM and SS hood. It has 1-7/8" drop and they have really good airflow compared to others. A standard drop base Moroso would not clear the hood.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I needed this type of GM air cleaner with my Performer RPM and SS hood. It has 1-7/8" drop and they have really good airflow compared to others. A standard drop base Moroso would not clear the hood.

That would work for sure just like an original. Great price $99 can't beat that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a hood clearance issue with my '69 SS396 El Camino. It has an Eldelbrock Performer RPM Q-Jet intake with a Moroso drop base 14 X 3" air filter and it just barely hit the bracing under the stock SS hood. The height of the Performer RPM Q-Jet and regular Performer RPM are the same. It was mostly when the engine moved and I have stiff poly engine mounts so they don't move much. I went to a 2-3/4" K&N filter to gain the needed clearance.
I'll keep that in mind. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to try different height paper filters until I find what works, then buy the K&N as I'd intended. Nice engine by the way. That looks a lot like what I intend to do with mine, the chromed/polished accessories. It looks every bit as good as I'd imagined.
I'll look into those. I have a Summit 6qt oil pan for the engine, do you think lowering the engine would cause any problems?
That sounds like that might be a winner. I'd likely still swap out the lid with the stainless one from the Trans-Dapt assembly. I specifically want a stainless top because my plan is to etch a tribute to my late father into it. The car was originally going to be a father-son project but he lost his battle with cancer not quite a year after we started.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts

View attachment 749549
L-88 drop base do you know the part number, or what year car had them?
Get the one Bob posted it has the L-88 style base..

I'll look into those. I have a Summit 6qt oil pan for the engine, do you think lowering the engine would cause any problems?

If it’s the kick out style It will work, I have a 7 quart Moroso and it’s even with the cross member.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

If it’s the kick out style It will work, I have a 7 quart Moroso and it’s even with the cross member.
I think it will work. It looks like the sump may be a little deeper but not by much. It appears to be pretty much a standard 5 quart with a larger box sump welded on. I keep forgetting that the standard height on a Chevelle is higher than my Scion so even with the terrible roads around here it shouldn't hit anything.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I have what you have. It will only fit with a drop base (L88) style, 3" filter and a nut as a lit hold down. I had to raise the rear of the hood for clearance. Here is a good method to test for clearance. Put it all together, take a loose ball of tinfoil and place it on the front edge of the air cleaner lid. Slowly lower hood while checking tin foil. I used an AED throttle bracket and the return springs all but touch the bottom of the air cleaner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have what you have. It will only fit with a drop base (L88) style, 3" filter and a nut as a lit hold down. I had to raise the rear of the hood for clearance. Here is a good method to test for clearance. Put it all together, take a loose ball of tinfoil and place it on the front edge of the air cleaner lid. Slowly lower hood while checking tin foil. I used an AED throttle bracket and the return springs all but touch the bottom of the air cleaner.
Fortunately I haven't purchased many of these parts yet. It will still be some time before I have the time to build the engine so I'm just working on getting the necessary parts at the moment. I thought it best to check if my plan will work before buying the parts rather than find out later it won't and its too late to return them. I did recently order the L88 style air cleaner from Ground Up that was previously recommended. I was looking at the Performer RPM manifold because I chose to go with oval port heads but with the recommendation for a Winter's manifold and reading several other discussions about using a rectangle port intake on oval port heads, I'm thinking that a Winter's LS-6 intake manifold (or a reproduction), will be the best choice due to the added clearance. Again, fortunately, I haven't yet purchased an intake manifold. I will try the tinfoil trick when it comes to that point.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts