Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a nice '71 Chevelle with a bent front frame and has a "salvage" title. It comes with a four-door parts car (with good front clip and frame, but no title. My state requires a certified rebuilder to repair the car before they inspect the repair and then title it.
I need to see what my options are:
1) Get the frame straightened and still have a car that had a "salvaged" title.
2) Use the four door frame (if it's the same length) and still have a car that had a salvaged title.
What other options do I have? The car isn't heavily rusted and I've seen worst on the streets. Will the four door frame even work?

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have a 68 that had bent frame a 4 door frame is about 4 inches longer than a 2 door, but its easy to make it work. the difference right where the back door would be on a 4 door all of the body mount holes are spaced the same except for the holes just in front of where the rear end is. you will have to measure to find the exact difference and cut that much out on each side and weld it back. thats what i had to do. it seems hard but its probably the easiest. way to fix that car. hope this helps

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Find a clear title chevelle and part the wrecked one..title paperwork can be a real hassle, and may haunt you if you ever want to sell. Since is is just a malibu and not a rare or SS car, I would just use it for parts, especially with that much work needed.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The four door frame will not work without some cuttin' and gridding. The front clip off of that four door will not work either. The four door el caminos and wagons don't have the "power bulge" on the sides like the two door chevelles do. If I was you I would sell the four door parts car and buy a frame from a 'yard. The four door parts car won't have any hipo parts and the only thing that is really salvagable is the running gear, but even then they usually came with the low power options and therefore worthless. Just my two cents.

------------------
I need GM style rear 1/4's for 70-72!! e-mail me.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
A 4 door Chevelle front clip WILL work on a 2 door Chevelle. The front clip WON'T work on an El Camino or Wagon. I've never seen a 4 door El Camino like you posted, or the power Bulge, but the front clip on my car is off a 4 door car.It sounds like too much work for the outcome though, you should be able to find a good driver for a good price.

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen
Team Chevelle # 427
A.C.E.S. # 1282

·
Registered
51 Posts
72ss what do you mean by a " power buldge " granted my car is a 68 but the frames are identicial. i have a 4 door frame under my 2 door malibu. and there is no difference except for the for the 4 extra inches. which i had to cut out. which took about 5 or 6 hours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.