Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a cherry picker to lift an engine out of the bed of a pick up truck? I need to do this and want to make sure it will lift high enough to get it out before the time comes to actually do it since I wont be home when I do it. I'll be at Chevelle-abration. The cherry picker does has an extendable arm.
Ron

------------------
70 Chevelle SS396
66 Nova SS 327
95 Z28 Convertible.
Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Yes, depending of course on how high the truck bed is and how far the lift will extend.

------------------
My Elky Page (updated 5-15-01)
"Think for yourself. Don't let popular opinion make your decisions for you."
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
yep, I do it all the time. You should have no problems unless of course its a monster truck or something!

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
I would suggest that you lift it high enough to clear the floor of the bed, and then with the tail gate down, move the truck out from under the hoisted engine. I have always found it safer to move the vehicle instead of the cherry picker, and keep the engine as close to the ground as possible. If you are maneuvering the engine with everything on a flat smooth surface, it's not an issue, but if you're doing on asphalt or dirt with a cherry picker with small wheels, things can get real squirrely, real quick. Been there..done that...

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just did this about a month ago.No problem at all. I even had to shorten the chain because the hoist was too high. (the truck had a cap on it).Extend the hoist arm out as far as it will go and you should have no problem at all.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.