Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 461 in a 73 Chevelle (4200 pounds) making about 550 HP and I wanted to know if my 8.5 ten bolt rear end would live under this kind of torque? Is there anything I can do to stregthen it or should I just go to a Ford 9 inch?

·
Registered
158 Posts
What's the gear ratio of your 10 bolt?
My general answer is yes, the 10 bolts will hold up to a lot more punishment than some might give them credit for.

------------------
Bob
Email: [email protected]
70 Malibu
66 SS396 conv (project)
Team Chevelle Gold Member #169
New England Chevelle & El Camino Assoc. #085

·
Registered
336 Posts
The specs for the "corporate" 8.5" 10 bolt fall between the old 12 bolt 8.75" and 8.2" 10 bolt generally lot closer to the 12 bolt in strength. Currie does sell conversion 9" units for the 73-77's If you do alot of racing on slicks the 10 bolt may finally give in with that motor.

------------------
Frank W
Melrose MA
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
hometown.aol.com/folingo/folingo.html
Mighty 305 Power

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is a great article in May, '99 issue of Super Chevy that addresses your question very well. It says there is a guy using a 10 bolt in a car that runs the Super Street class at 150 MPH. The 10 bolt you have is a good rear-end.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Old geezer I got my 12 bolt from will snatch up an 8.5 any time he can. He re-builds them and sells them all the time. Go for it.
John Walker

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
73CSS,

The 8.5" rear is a good rear. David Henninger runs 9.2's in the Hot Rod Real Street class with one(N2O on a Buick V6). He ran the same rear when he was running mid 8's in Super Street. He uses 35-spline axles, spool, c-clip eliminators, and welded axle tubes.
As good as the rear is, you are going to have to modify it to get it to live behind your combo. There are quite a few aftermarket parts available. At minimum I would suggest aftermarket alloy axles. You will probably be safe with the factory spline count.

Good Luck,

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
[email protected]

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
You might want to add a rear end supprt cover. Helps support the bearing caps under heavy loading.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.