Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a 1971 Chevelle 12 bolt posi rearend with housing. Will this fit my 1964 Chevelle?

·
Registered
96 Posts
yes, the rear is a bolt in however make note that in 1968 they made the rear about an inch longer which is not a problem if you use the right offset wheel. I had this setup on my 64 and used 15x7 centerlines with 4& 7/8 backspacing. It worked but doesnt give that deep wheel look. The best 12 bolt to get are 65-67 because they were the shortest.

·
Registered
85 Posts
One thing else that is different for 64 until mid 66 or 67, is that the lower spring BOLTS to a "flat pad" or PERCH on the rear end.

Therefore the lower end of the "early" year springs differs from the 67 and up style which is a "pig-tail" design which fits down "around" and is retained by a circular shaped spring pad.

Although I have not done it, you probably could use the newer style springs from the '71, under the '64. You might have to experiment with different spring rates to get the '64 at the right height.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.