Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Yep, it will. This is one of the rare times that GM didnt move wire locations around in the fuse block and it should work fine.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I must disagree. I put a harness from a 70 into my 72. Nothing worked, not even the ignition. After comparing the 2 wiring diagrams side by side, almost all of the pin connectors were in different locations for the various circuits. What I did was split the fuse panel open and moved all the pins into the correct location for my application. All works fine now EXCEPT there was an extra wire in the fuse block and there was a wire that was supposed to be in the 72 harness that wasn't there. I think the missing wire from the 72 was tan and the extra wire from the 70 was red. Well, I figured that they maybe had changed the color of the wire for some reason and just put the red wire where the brown wire was supposed to go. Now the generator light stays on all the time. I don't know if it's feeding back into the alternator or if it's only the light being on. My car is in pieces right now and I haven't gotten to checking it out yet. Anyway, look at the 2 diagrams side by side and you'll see the differences!

------------------
72 SS coupe clone & 68 ragtop, 69 ragtop. www.NoNecksChevelle.com

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll have to check it out. I do have the complete harness, including fuse block, so I think it should work. Keep in mind that the harness is an SS. I'm switching to a 70 cluster. Besides color differences, I am not sure of other differences between 70 and 71/72. Any more thoughts? Thanks. Tim

[This message has been edited by 70Z15 (edited 06-20-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Noneck,
Regarding your 72, yes things are different, but not so 70 to 71. Yes the harness from a 71 will work in a 70. I have compared all the pin connections when a friends 70 needed its butchered harness replaced. I compared wiring diagrams,was prepared to move things around, and was suprised to see that GM gave me a break and didnt play "swap time" with the 70-71 pin locations like they usually did year to year. The 72 harness however would of needed mods, and since I had both harnesses around I used the 71 without any major hassles. I think the cig lighter used a different connector, but swapping the lighter fixed that.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

[This message has been edited by drptop70ss (edited 06-20-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts