Team Chevelle banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 Chevelle. The engine harness is from a 70 malibu, the dash is a SS idiot light type from a 72 monte carlo with the 72 monte dash harness as well. I bought a kit to change the idiot lights to the tach and gauges. Nothing works right at all. Whats the problem? Are my harnesses not compatible? I have a new voltage regulator, horn relay, and all the sending units are new. The circuit board is new and so are the gauges from the kit. Whats up? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
I have read that the '71 and '72 are not the same. The wire positions in the fuse block are said to have changed in '72.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
One big difference is where the dash harness gets the 12 volts from the battery. That's why nothing works.
Chevy made a change in 72. In 72 the fuseblock and dash harness gets power from the engine harness. This comes from the horn relay mounted on the firewall near the brake booster.
In the prior years 12 volts comes in through the lamp harness from the horn relay. Horn relay was mounted up in the front by the radiator.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks for the help. I was wondering if i could just rewire the fuse block so that the correct wires are in the correct positions. This would be alot cheaper and easier than going through the hassel of taking it out again and finding a 70 or 71 dash harness.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Elree. I have an original 70' assmbly manual with all the wiring diagrams that is very useful if you can understand what you are looking at. I would still like to get my hands on a procedure though, just to check my work. I decided that removing the harness will make it easier, so i have done that and i am about halfway done with rewiring the fuse block. No wonder the darn thing didn't work! Thanks for all your help everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The following directions should provide the necessary information to modify your 72 harness for use on your 70.
If you look closely at the wire side of the dash harness bulkhead connector (separate the fuse block from the bulkhead connector) You should see letters marking the rows and columns. The rows are A,B,C and D. The columns are S,T,U and V for the forward lamp harness and W,X,Y and Z for the engine harness. The following instructions will refer to these coordinates.

Includes wire color, engine side connection and dash side connection

You also need to move wires in the cluster connector to change from lights to gauges.

FORWARD LAMP HARNESS BULK HEAD CONNECTOR

AS – No wire (Should be black wire for key warning buzzer. Your warning buzzer will be under dash,)
BS – Dark Green – temp sensor or temp switch / temp gauge or temp light – Move from CZ
CS –No change (Light Blue –LH dir signal)
DS –Black – J-block /amp gauge –Move from DX Forward lamp harness wire to be added. Gauge cluster harness only
AT –No change (Black grounds at horn button for horn relay)
BT –No wire
CT –No change (Dark Blue –RH dir signal)
DT –Black/dark Blue/White (looks like Black/White) –horn relay / amp gauge –Move from CX. Forward lamp harness wire to be added. Gauge cluster harness only.
AU –No change (Light Green -head light high beams)
BU –No change (Brown –running/marker lights)
CU –Brown/White –voltage regulator / ignition switch (The brown white wire from the ignition switch is a resistor wire, supplies power to the voltage regulator when key is on) -brown wire to GEN light (light harness only) –Move from BT.
DU –Tan –brake dist block / brake warning light –Move from BS
AV –No change (Tan –head light low beams)
DV –Red –Main power feed to dash –Move from WD

ENGINE HARNESS BULKHEAD CONNECTOR

AW –Purple –starter solenoid S terminal / Neutral safety switch –Move from AZ
DW –No wire
AX –No wire (would be TCS)
BX –No change (Pink to ignition switch / engine side has white/orange /purple to coil)
CX –No wire
DX –No wire
AY –No Change (brown –coil / tach) Engine side wire to be added. Gauge cluster only.
BY –No Change (dark blue oil pressure switch / oil warning light)
CY –Yellow –power to wiper motor / wiper fuse –Move from DS
DY –Light Blue –wiper motor (washer pump) / wiper switch –Move from DT
AZ –No wire
BZ –No change (orange blower motor / blower switch) Used on heat only cars, not used on A/C cars.
CZ –Dark Blue –wiper motor / wiper switch –Move from CU
DZ –Black –wiper motor / wiper switch –Move from DU

Note: The wire in AY is found in a gauge dash harness only it is for the tach to coil. For a 70/71 harness this wire is not routed through the bulkhead connector. It is routed through a hole in the firewall.
Wires in DS and DT are for the AMP gauge, also gauge harness only wires. You will need to add these wires from the cluster connector to the connections under the hood.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey i just rewired the dash harness from a 70 Idiot light column shift diagram. Nothing works, it is dead in the water. Well maybe this procedure you have given me will correct it. Is a column shift diagram different from a floor shift diagram? Thanks alot, i got some work to do!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The only difference between auto and man trans is the start safety switch. It is on the column on an auto trans car (neutral/park safety switch), or it's attached to the clutch linkage on a man trans car. The dash harness is the same for both, a short two wire extension harness is used for the clutch safety switch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i got bad news. The car starts and runs now, but the guages still dont work. the lights in the dash come on except for the tach lights. Do i have a loose connection? I mean nothing works. The tach has a brown or tan wire from the cluster connector to the coil negative. Isnt that all it should have to work? I have an aftermarket MSD 6A ignition, is that causing the problems? I just dont get it. I am starting to get mad. Elree, the procedure was alot of help, but it didnt work completly. Maybe there is something in the forward lamp harness messing it all up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, i meant what is the difference, if any at all, between an automatic console shift and an automatic column shift. Thanks elree

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Did you rewire the cluster connector?

The console for the auto trans has the neutral safety and backup switch on the floor shifter. You need a console extension harness, a console harness and the shifter mounted switch.

Not all dash harnesses are wired with the console light connector. gray, orange and white wires in a three prong connector.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Elree, i have all the harness and the switch for the console. The dash harness is wired for the console, it all came from the same car. Can you beleive i bought a complete bucket seat interior, dash, console, seats and everything for 450 bucks? Beleive it. I will figure this thing out if it kills me.

Thanks alot

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh, i just thought of something. The car the dash and harness came out of had a 400 small block. Would that make any difference? I dont think so but the only dumb question is the one you dont ask, right? Later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, i think i got it all figured out except for a few wires. What wires go into the coordinates CU on the fuse bulkhead. I have two prodcedures that tell me different things. One says:"Brown/White-voltage regulator / ignition switch (The brown/white wire from the ignition switch is a resistor wire, supplies power to the voltage regulator when key is on)- brown wire to GEN light(light harness only) - move from BT." What does all that mean? And the brown wire coming from the fisher body connector, where does that go? The instructions from the conversion kit i bought from Muslce Factory tells me: "Splice with brown on ignition block", that is a 52" brown/black wire. I dont have a brown/black wire. I also had a black with pink striped wire, where does that go?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The 72 light harness has a brown/white resistor wire and a brown wire that are in the BT location. The brown/white wire is from the ignition switch, the brown wire is from the GEN light. On the 70 harness these wires are in the CU location. So you need to move them from BT to CU. When conversion to a gauge dash the brown wire from the GEN light is not used and can be clipped at the bulkhead.

The brown wire in the fisher body harness, also called the intermediate harness, is for the tail lights and license plate light. I don't know why the instructions want you to connect to it. I don't know why you need to do anything with it except plug the body harness into the dash harness.

I also don't know what 52" brown/black wire the instructions is referring to. Without reading the entire instructions it's impossible to comment on them. The information I have provided is for factory gauges.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The only black/pink wire I know of is for the TCS circuit. Are you refering to a wire in the engine harness or dash harness. I'm just guessing but I think it's on the old 70 dash harness.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts