Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started like this...one day when I flipped the switch for my headlights I discoverd that the dash light was out, but it would blink along with the right blinker. The left blinker did not blink, it just stayed lit. And my tail lights were out but my brake lights still worked. Then one day, my dash lights magically started working again, but I had lost my brake lights. So my brake, tail, and reverse lights do not work, and my left blinker doesn't blink. I have been told it is probably due to a bad ground, but since I know very little about wiring I don't know what grounds to check and where they would be on the car. Any help on this would be appreciated. I need to get back on the road and it is too hot in Vegas to drive during the day. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
This is similar but not exact.

On my 1964 the fuse block on the inside firewall had a terminal on the back of the fuse block that was not installed with enough spacing, between the terminals behind it. When the fuse block attach screws were tightened the terminal would bend back and touch the terminal clip behind it.

This short was between the instrument fuse terminal and the heater fuse located at the clips to the right of the fuses for attaching additional wires. I reshaped the terminal, also placed some rubber between the problem and mounted the fuse block.

I would just loosen the screws that hold the fuse block and see if the problem goes away.

If that doesn’t work pull one fuse at a time to see if you can isolate the circuit that’s causing the problem

·
Registered
318 Posts
Brob, can you post a pic? I have the same similar problem as mentioned above. I was blowing tail light fuses quite often. I once removed my fuse box, put it back and it worked for a while. I noticed when the tail lights where working, my passenger side brake light would stay on when I put the bulb and socket back in the tail light and my blinker wouldn't work. I replaced the socket. Worked for about a week. Than, same problem. I would wiggle the wires and sometimes it would work. I replaced it again and so far it has worked (about a week). I also had to replace a front blinker bulb. Do you think the socket and front blinker bulb were creating resistance and blowing the fuse. So far fuses haven't blown. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brob - Thanks for the advice. I am not sure that is the problem though, the fuse box has not even been touched in YEARS, besides replacing a fuse. You never know though, so I will try it anyways. Thanks again.

As far as blowing fuses I have never had that problem. I even replaced the brake light fuse just in case and nothing changed.

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
sounds like it could be a loose ground connection somewhere.

Chris.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris R - That's my guess. I just don't know where to look for the right ground. Is it in the back of the car, middle, front, is it on the frame, body, engine, etc...? I am a wiring virgin.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I figured it out. It was one of those problems where the right answer was too simple to be right so it didn't even cross my mind. The problem was that the wiring harness connector in the trunk somehow came undone. I plugged it back in and what do you know... Thanks for all of the advice guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts