Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, well I stole the voltage regulator off the 70 wagon for my 70 elco. at first it seemed to work great. I had to go pick it up at my work, and thats where I installed the borrowed v/r. it was about 10 miles back and I checked the heater blower motor switch regularly. with almost all accessories on the switch stayed cool all the way to shucks where I stopped to get a new voltage regulator. as it used to do, it even dipped down to 12 volts at the stop lights with all the acc's running. it seemed back to normal. but when I left the parts store I noticed it was back around 15-16 volts and would not come down at idle. also the dang heater switch is getting hot again. help!! what gives?? did I blow another v/r? and why? am I going to keep blowing them for some reason?
I think its murphy's law. the moment I disabled the 70 wagon to do a disc brake conversion, and a new suspension upgrade is when things started realy going haywire with the el camino. I don't need to be riding my bicycle to work in january!!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You have two problems. Which one do you want to work on first? Kinda confusing to work on both at the same time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think working the over voltage issue is the most important. I have no choice but drive it every day to work. I have felt around the battery and under dash wires and so far have not noticed anything that feels hot, other then that heater switch but thats another issue. I dont know why this is happening I havn't done anything to it in a long time so it's not like I bumped something loose I don't believe. like I mentioned in my other post, I put a new v-reg in and it seemed fine for about 10 miles or so, now its doing it again. any help as always, is greatly appreciated. mike

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I forget sometimes. Does the 70 V/R screw down to the core support with large sheet metal screws? The V/R needs to be grounded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts