Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A fellow TC member was having a brake problem. The rear brakes would not release. The problem was the hose to the rear brakes was collapsed and wouldn't allow the fluid to flow back from the wheel cylinders.
Pics are of the hose after I cut it, one shows a staple that I inserted into the hose that would barely fit. Another shop was instructed to replace all the rubber lines, but they left this one on because "it looked OK".:sad: A hose can look great on the outside but still be junk.
BillL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
I've also seen a bad a hose stop one brake from stopping, causing the car to pull to the opposite side when braking. The linings do break down over time and can block fluid flow in one direction or the other, especially if the line was ever kinked.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Wow that is bad, kinda looks like my arteries.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
I did a disc-brake-conversion on a '66 Toronado. Used a '72 Toro as a donor vehicle.

Put it all together, and tried to bleed the front brakes. The pedal was ROCK HARD and I couldn't get any fluid out of either front caliper.

Yeah, BOTH front brake hoses were swollen totally shut. Not one drop of fluid could get through. I had planned to re-use the hoses because they looked so nice--on the outside.

Installed new front hoses; problem solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts