Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of interest here regarding tilt columns. My question is why (except for real fat people)??????What advantage is there in a classic car - I DO see the advantage in newer tiny Jap cars, they should come with a shoehorn too.Just interested.

------------------

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not fat - but I am quite tall. So I like to put the seat way back. Tilting the wheel puts it in a more comfortable driving position for me. Just a little bit of luxury and comfort for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I totally agree gentleman. I am 6'2" weigh 200 lbs. it sure is more comfortable even in my 97 GMC stretch cab to be able to tilt the wheel up! the 68 malibu will be recieving one when time allows. Keep on cruisin!
lynn

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the insight - being a short guy , height didn't occur to me.
In my wifes Toyota, I just leave it alone and drive as is.

------------------

·
Registered
28 Posts
You know I wasn't going to reply to this topic but after a bit of thought I couldn't resist. As the rest of the contibutors mentioned above, what gave you the idea that only FAT people need or want a tilt wheel. (Yes I'm 6'1" and 290 lbs.) I have tilt in my 70 el camino and it stays in the same position as my 69 ss that doesn't. What is nice though is when you get in and out. The wheel goes up and you can slide out easier. Now as far as the Japaneese cars go. I have at least a foot more room behind the wheel in my daughters Honda CRX than my Chevelle. BUT!!! I WOULDN'T TRADE FOR HER CAR IN A HUNDRED YEARS. Because there is nothing finer than a finely tuned big block 396 screaming down the road.
Happy cruzing Tom.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Monica Lewinski ??

------------------

C

·
0 Posts
Herm.. Never considered that.. Now I have to go out and get a tilt for my '71..
Already have the bench seats...

·
5,855 Posts
283; I was like you and wondered about the real use for a tilt wheel. My wife's 91 Chevy truck has one but I never use. Then, I bought my 68 Elky w/ bench seat. This car,for some reason, definitely needs one. I'm always bumping the wheel (5'9", 200lbs). My ZR-1 Corvette has a tilt wheel also and I have to use it every time I get in or out. Maybe it's because I'm getting OLD!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I added a tilt wheel and power seats to my 71SS during the winter 8 years, ago for something to do. I'll tell you, it sure is neat pulling up beside a Lincoln on the highway with the seat back, tilt wheel down, and looking over and saying " WE'LL BE SEEING YA " drop a gear and @#!$ off. Luxury, Class and Speed. That's what it's all about. ( 5'10", 165lbs. )

·
Registered
150 Posts
The first decent car I had a tilt column in was a 78 Camaro. It didn't have it originally, but I added it because the old column was a mess and I got the tilt one for free from a buddy of mine. (I was actually looking for a regular column) After I installed it, I flipped the wheel up every time I got out of the car, and it is amazing how much difference that made. Now I'm looking for a tilt for my 70 Camaro, and you think I could find one as easy as that one was? Not a chance. The parts yards around here are full of 82 & up Camaros, but not 70-81. I will be putting a tilt in my son's 70 Chevelle when we begin the project as well. BTW, I'm 6'1" 210lbs, not fat by any means.

[This message has been edited by Scooter (edited 12-05-98).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its a luxury that once you have one and use it on a regular basis, you'll never go back. I have one in my '95 GMC 2 door Jimmy and plan on putting one in my daugters '71 2 door Malibu and my '67 Chevelle convt. Love'em and wouldn't do without them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Got one in my Toyota and my Honda. They came that way. I would never pay for the option as I never use it. My 72 will never have it. However my friend (5"11, 160) installed a tilt in his 64 because he says it is easier to get in and out of w/ a roll bar. Think about this if you might get a rollbar. On the other hand my other friend (6"4,260) has a roll bar and no tilt, He says it is no problem getting into or out of his 70 w/ a roll bar. He says my friend is fulla BS and just likes to show off the option.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts

your right
im going to go get me a tilt and have good use made of that extra head room..

Tommy lee jones has got a tilt why shouldn't I?

Hot66ss

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.