Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a 1970 they put a rubber pad on the top of the rear spring. why? if that was good, why not put it at the bottom also? it seems to me it would keep from rubbing metal on metal.

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I asked this very same questiion a while back so I am curious myself. I assumed that it was because the rear shifted under the car and with the wieght of the car on the axle the axle side is less likely to move than the body shifting on the spring at the top. Plus, the bottom has the piece that sits inside the spring keeping it from walking and the top is a pocket where the spring has more room to shift. does seem like it would be useful on the bottom as well though, just for the metal to metal fatigue that would be somewhat negated by using a rubber pad.

Can someone clear this up?

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually my 70 and 71, and I imagine 68 to 72 is the same, has the same kind and size of raised ring that fits inside of the spring as the rear does. So what I am saying is the top and bottom of the rear spring rests are the same. Therefore the pads will fit exactly on top and bottom. So why not put it in both places? Even though the rear may move slightly from side to side the spring will move at the top or bottom depending on which one offers the least amount of friction. I guess the factory would have rather had the movement take place on the rear rather then the frame because the rear is "insulated" by control arm bushings. But the real question is why not put the rubber pads on bottom also? The only answer I can come up with is, by adding more rubber in the spring travel, you will not have as stiff of a spring because first you have to take up the compression of the rubber pads then the spring can do its job. Plus the additional height of about 1/8 inch. Both of these reasons are hardly worth anything but that’s all I can think of. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
38 Posts
noise. That's all they do. Supress noise. When I changed the springs in the 4dr I asked this same question of NPD when I was buying the springs. I didn't put them in and I have no problems.

Chris

------------------
68 Chevelle Malibu four door - under construction.

Tubbed 68 Chevelle something. One day a race car.

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so what i am hearing is, they are just noise supressors and you did not put them in and you dont have noise. so if you dont have noise what the heck are they doing? maybe once your paint wears off between the spring and top or bottom you will have noise? so, is what you are saying, if i want to spend the $5.50 each, basicly unneccessarily and put them on top and bottom it will not matter but maybe it's cheap insurence against future noise. aside from the benifit of not wearing the paint down which will leave exposed steel which will rust.

·
Registered
777 Posts
noise and vibration is all they suppress. Kinda similiar to the robber vs poly bushing thing. I don't care so much about the noise, but you might notice a bit more vibration and harshness without them. I would be curious to see what the difference would be without them, with one on top, then with one on top and bottom.

Good luck,
Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 467BBC)
'70 Nova 350/700r4
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO

·
Registered
38 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FO_FDYFO:
>ok, so what i am hearing is, they are just noise supressors and you did not put them in and you dont have noise.

correct.

> so if you dont have noise what the heck are they doing?

my point exactly.

> maybe once your paint wears off between the spring and top or bottom you will have noise?

haven't heard anything yet, and they've been in since las spring.

> so, is what you are saying, if i want to spend the $5.50 each, basicly unneccessarily and put them on top and bottom it will not matter but maybe it's cheap insurence against future noise.

could be.

> aside from the benifit of not wearing the paint down which will leave exposed steel which will rust.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

good point, but with my experience (I'm sure it's limited compared to most of you old farts ;) )The springs expand and contract enough it's hard to keep paint on them anyway. Mine are powdercoated, so hopefully that'll last a little longer.

------------------
68 Chevelle Malibu four door - under construction.

Tubbed 68 Chevelle something. One day a race car.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
my '71 still has the original rear springs (fronts too) and in the six years I've owned the car I haven't heard one squeak from the springs. It doesn't have the rubber pad either. I think a rubber pad would effect the handling slightly since you will have a flexible part which will allow the spring to move a little during cornering.

The '94-96 Impala SS has the exact same rear suspension as the Chevelles and came stock with spring pads at the bottom of the rear springs. I took them out and haven't heard any noise. Car became a little more stable as well.

------------------
1971 Chevelle (258rwhp @4900/[email protected])
1994 Impala SS
1996 Schwinn when both are torn apart :)
The Silver Bullet
"If you don't have extra parts after a rebuild..you did it wrong"

·
Registered
144 Posts
Because I didn't know better, I put pads top and bottom on my last 69. With the Poly bushings and body mounts, new springs and large sway bars I didn't notice any extra give due to the extra pad, but it did raise the rear up just a tad. Definitely no squeaks from the rear area, but I was comparing to the before condition- worn out springs, sloppy suspension bushings, body mount bushings that were about gone.

·
Registered
461 Posts
They are put only on the top for the same reason that the exhaust system is connected at the top thru rubber. Stops vibration and throbbing.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Metal to metal is a great conductor of road noise thru vibration, I'd say they were there for a quiet ride... If that was such a thing with a 454 skoot'n ya down the freeway..

------------------
Tommy B.
71-72 Malibu
"I'm high all right, but on the real stuff
High octane gasoline
A clean windshield
And a shoe shine"

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys. now i know why my other chevelle has the noise it does. it has no rubber pads and no sound deadener in the floor. but on the car i was considering the pads on i, i am using it as a daily driver. with all the information givven here, i think i am going to put them on the top and the bottom. since i am using urethane bushings and swaybars i dont think i will have any play from side to side. and if it raises the car up slightly thats fine too. it however be a waist to put them as some of you implied since i am using urethain bushings and there will be a 454 chugging up front. but i figure there is no harm in using them so its only money. thanks

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

·
Registered
548 Posts
Because it is not necessary top will do.As these are not shims or what ever, they are isolators.To isolate you from the noisy road...FRED

------------------

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks fred and i understand that
. unless there is a good reason not to use it on the bottom, there is no harm other then the extra bucks. my logic in using them on the bottom it to prevent the rubbing between 2 metal parts, which will eventuallycause exposed steel then rust. thats all. i realize its not neccessary but there are no other places on the car where 2 metal surfaces are allowed to rub. is'nt that reason enough?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.