Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ohh this is an evil word "rear Ended" ACK!!
a woman in my car about 2 years ago, and I got a new bumper from Garys Classic Chevys in Texas somewhere. Well I took the old bent one off and tossed it in the back yard and it has had no attention since. My new bumper is rusting!??? what the hell!! Just for grins I went to the back yard to pay a visit to the old bumper and it is shiny and not rusting a bit at all! I mean like nothing except it is bent. Whats up with this?

------------------
350 4speed 12bolt 3.73's
Bench Blue w/black inter. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It's a lesson in the difference in the quality of chrome today as compared with "yesteryear". Alot has to do with the wonderful EPA and the laws which govern the industry. I bought a rechromed bumper a couple of years ago from a couple of "boyz" who shall remain nameless, and within one year, the chrome on the top of the bumper was tarnished. At this point, the whole bumper needs rechroming! After 3 years! The original bumper was fine after 15 years, except that it was severely damaged in an accident. Every bumper since has been a disaster. Very tough to get good chrome today. I guess if you let the car sit in the garage with little or no use, the chrome will last. But, if you use the car, it won't stand up at all.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
540,000+ miles on car.
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
MalibuJerry350 is right. Chromic acid emissions are at the top of the EPA "worst turd" list.That has shut most of them down, but the quality of the finish lies in the prep work. The tarnish, peel, and or rust is the nickel, and its thickness or the lack there of. I'm starting a small plating business, and have learned all about EPA regs. Luckily I bought a system that is considered "zero emission" so I'm exempt if I play it very carefully.
I don't use the cyanide copper strike coat. I use a nickel strike coat, then copper, then nickel, and then chrome. To have a bumper plated this way would be outrageous in cost, but I don't have the power or size to do them anyway. Defintely hard to find good work anymore for sure.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
My body shop strongly recommened that I wax the re-chromed bumper I got, front and back. I believe that this has helped my bumper avoid too much corrosion.

------------------
Bow_Tied's 2¢ worth ¿¿
'69 SS 300 Deluxe
'71 Malibu 2DR HT
Ron Cook

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
You really get what you pay for and good quality show chrome is not cheap. I deal with Frankford plating here in Philadelphia and recently with Tri-City plating in TN. Both are not cheap (like $400 for a bumper) but it's nice plating. Cheaper prices mean cheaper plating that doesn't hold up. I bought a repop side mirror and my buddy put one on his car and after a year it is rusting (I think he just found an NOS one).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I sandblasted then prepped the backside of my bumper and painted it with a couple coats of Por-15, stuff works great, and i was thinking that i would shine up the exterior, and then coat that with POR-15's clear coat, pluecid i think its called, i think it can be used on smooth and chromed surfaces, just an idea for ya, bummer about the bad chrome going around, thanks for the waring all

-Aaron

------------------
Aaron Westlund
1968 Concours
327 1980 Q-jet
TH350 12bolt posi

http://www.geocities.com/cong_1022/car.html

·
Registered
622 Posts
I just got my bumpers from Tri-City plating in Tenn. LIFETIME guarantee.Don't know how they will last , but they look good !!!!

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Bob Tiley is correct about quality = $$$. The place I use here, United Plating, charges $650.00 Cdn. for a Chevelle sized bumper, but he is the best and you get your money's worth. Show quality chrome is a beautiful thing.

------------------
Dan Orgill

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Yep, you've gotta spend the $$$ for good bumpers. I spent $250 each to have my front and rear straightened and re-plated. Came with a lifetime guarantee and they look fantastic. They were done by Keystone Automotive Industries.

JR

------------------
My 70 Chevelle

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
All I know is...

Never send a BOYZ to do a MANZ job!

It's true chroming is not what it use to be, but you should have no problems if the re-chroming place knows what the heck they are doing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.