Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidently left the key in the ON position (Motor not running) yesterday while cleaning the engine compartment. I touched the top of the coil and it was HOT, real HOT, "Fry an egg on it" HOT. Then I noticed a hair line crack across the top of the coil and a light oil seeping out of it.
It's an MSD Blaster coil and Mallory Comp 9000 distributor. There are 2 red wires hooked up to the "+" side, and one blue and one green wire hooked up to the "-" side of the coil. It's a freshly built motor, (less than 1000 miles), and I know the previous owner had been experimenting with different components to the ignition system.
It seems to run pretty good but has been fouling plugs. I thought that was just cause it's running a rich gas mixture, but now I am not so certain. Any ideas?

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
Lincoln, NE
70 SS 402ci+.030 TH400 3.73 posi Cranberry Red

We've not been called upon to hold the fort, but rather, to storm the heights!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Yep, they do that when the ignition is "on" and current is going through the windings. Consider that when the engine is running, the points (or electronic module) starts and stops the current flow, but with the ignition on and the points closed, the current is flowing (and the coil heating) 100 % of the time.

If the coil is cracked, pitch it.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
To add a little bit to Schurkey's response. )
An automobile coil is not really a coil at all. It is actually a step up transformer. All transformers need alternating current (AC) to work. Otherwise if you put the 12 volt DC into them they burn. To DC the coil (transformer) acts like a resistor to ground and gets hot. Where does the AC come from normally when the car is running? It is mechanically created by the points opening and closing.

[Note: This message has been edited by John_Muha]

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! This site is the greatest!

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
Lincoln, NE
70 SS 402ci+.030 TH400 3.73 posi Cranberry Red

We've not been called upon to hold the fort, but rather, to storm the heights!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts