Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 402, (w/750dp no choke & Performer RPM), takes 10-15 seconds of cranking to fire up. It will fire very briefly when I first hit the starter then nothing for a while. Then it fires up quickly and stays running, no problem. I suspect the bowls are draining dry and this delay is the time it takes to fill them again. The initial few beats could be the small amount of fuel in the accerator pump. This doesn't happen if it's been started within the past 12 hours.

Am I on the right track? If so, where is this gas going? How do I fix it?

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
70 SS 402ci TH400 (Yes, it's the dreaded Cranberry Red, and I like it!)

We've not been called upon to hold the fort, but rather, to storm the heights!

·
Registered
200 Posts
You didn'y mention timing, but could you have too much initial advance? It's a classic symptom of a car that cranks alot before finally firing.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good thought. This brings me to another stupid question. Are the marks on the metal timing tab 1 degree each or two each? I have it set at 12 advance currently, (if they're 1 degree each mark). The previous owner told me the engine builder suggested this 12 degree setting.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Experiment with it, when the problem arises, pull the air cleaner off and try sqirting the pumps and see if fuel comes out. If not, you were probably right, the bowls could either be evaporating or draining somewhere. I had this problem when I first had the car running. I would leave the air lid off overnight, the fuel would dry up through the vent tubes. If you have a tight air cleaner, it might be draining into or on your engine. If it is, a reseal might be in order for the carb. The timing sounds like it is about right, check the condition of your plugs and cap/rotor for wear. Hope that helped.

------------------
My70ChevelleSS

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If each mark is 2 degrees, then that's likely the problem. I must be running about 24 degrees initial. Funny though, I don't get any knock at full throttle. Unless I'm just not hearing it.

I just installed a new distributor with an adjustable vacuum advance. It's set up to start at 12 initial with 36 total mechanical advance. The original engine builder used a Mallory Comp 9000 that did not have vacuum advance. Cap, rotor, & plugs are all new. The air cleaner lid fits tight.

Any recommendations on a good source for a choke set-up? I'd prefer something automatic rather than run a cable into the interior.

Thanks for all the help so far.

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel

G

·
Initial timing with more advance will not cause slow starting. I run 38 degrees of timing locked-out and my car will fire within a second or two of cranking. The first thing I do is to prime the lectric fuel pump for a couple seconds, then pump the gas pedal twice. The engine will usually fire on the first try, even with no choke. A Holley carb is really critical to idle adjustment settings, but once dialed in, they will fire up and idle very well. Now, if you were running alcohol, that's a different story

If you have a mschanical fuel pump, I could see needing to crank for a while to fill the bowls, although they should not empty completely out when sitting for a while...you should still have enough fuel in the bowls to give a couple pump shots.

BTW, when the engine is warm, it should not require any throttle opening to start if your idle is adjusted correctly. If you have to pump the gas when war to fire, the idle adjustment is too lean, and if you have to crack & hold the trottle open to fire when warm, your idle settings are too rich.

------------------
Malibumotorsports
79 Malibu, 414 ci BBC, 3550 lbs.
10.92 @ 122 mph, 1/4 mile
6.93 @ 99 mph, 1/8 mile
1.55 60'
BSE Power

[This message has been edited by Todd Geisler (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Registered
834 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MalibuJerry350:
No choke.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't see this being the problem. I've never had a choke on my previous 350, or my current 454, and both engines start withing 1-2 seconds of cranking. Just pump the gas once, turn the key and they fire right up.

I would look into the fuel draining out if it's taking 15 seconds to start.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Salad and vegetables are what food eat!"
My Page

·
Registered
38 Posts
Try pumping the gas pedal a few times before you start it.

------------------
Mac Johnson
1970 Chevelle (frame-up in progress)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just saying thanks to IGOTTA71. His response was dead-on. Problem solved.

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Good deal Bob good to hear you solved the problem.

------------------
My70ChevelleSS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.