Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been running crappy latley, lots of pinging and knocking on the higway and running rich, stinky exhaust, black plugs. Often misfiring trying to go above 4000 rpm. The timing is backed off,( it was way off previously I had measured 50+BTDC at one point with the old balancer, probably had spun some) 8BTDC at idle, MSD HEI module, Accell Coil (305 CI) Crane Cam 216/228 @0.050 0.454/0.480 lift, Stock Qjet (1980 model with electric choke) and iron Q jet manifold, headers with duals. I had been running the EGR valve to reduce the pinging on the highway, tried using octane boost, several different gas brands, new plugs, not much help. I felt that my vacuum was real low sometimes, the power brakes would not work sometimes. I had measured about 14" vac with a crappy gauge( I am also a chemist, that was real lame) Now the question, last weekend I disonnected the EGR valve, and had not driven the car myself untill yesterday, My mother in law has been using it since her two cars arn't running and I park my chevelle at her house ( I know thats lame), when I swapped cars, I noticed that the car was running much better, I had a road rage incident on my way to work this morning and had to really gun the motor on the highway, 2nd to 5g then 3rd to 4+ with no misfiring, lots of black smoke which I dont usually see but the jerk on my bumper made it easy to see. Now at lunch the car had great throttle response and would easily leave marks from a dead stop, I would always have to do a holeshot before. What happened??? How can I keep the car running good like this?? I have suspected my junkyard refugee Q-jet to be part of my inconsistent power, but I have had three over time. I didn't touch the motor or anything , just gas and rpm.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 73Malibu (edited 07-16-99).]

·
Registered
425 Posts
Either your Mother-in-law is an ace mechanic and worked on your car OR your car was so happy to have you driving it again it decided to run good for you.

It's funny how you notice that your car runs different( good or bad ) after someone else was driving it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe your mother-in-law has a heavy foot and loosened up some of that carbon buildup..
I was always told that when you gave her h*ll and the black smoke rolled...you were doing a good job of blowing the crud out of the engine...run it hard for 100 miles...bet it'll run even better!!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think she hits 40 from her house to the train station. I drive the car on weekends and blast to work often, I am hardly a lightfoot. But carbon buildup seems to be likley from the previous rich running. I am putting a Edelbrock performer on this weekend so no more EGR anyways. I will keep running it hard in the meantime

Frank

------------------

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Maybe its the brand of gas you were using. True story; Several years ago our work suburban starting running real bad, stumbling, black smoke, hard starting. Come to find one the guys put about 1/2 tank ofdiesel fuel by mistake. The place we had gotten fuel before (not a retail outlet) had removed the gasoline and switched the pumps to diesel. My 99 Suburban has been pinging like crazy lately and I was ready to bring it in. Been using Amoco 87 for the last 3 tanks and its stopped. I was using Marathon 87 octane quite a bit when the pingin started.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You say you disconected your EGR valve? That could be the culprit.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still don't understand why disconnecting the EGR would have improved the drivability. I bought a new EGR about 1 year ago, had not been using one for some time B4 that. It seemed to help out for a while. Now it runs much better now with the vac line plugged off again. The carb is from a 80 Monte, so should need the EGR, and at WOT the egr is supposed to be closed. I have been secretly wishing my 305 would die so I have to get a 350, but it has been 9 years now.

Frank

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.