Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering on where I can start looking to find why my car pulls to the left when I brake. Ii is a 65 Chevelle with disc brakes in the front. It was very recently aligned, new tires and rims. I believe it has something to do with the brakes. Could one side be braking harder then the other? If so, what would cause this and how would I go about fixing it?

Thanks,
TIm

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey TimG,

It might be a couple of things that I can think of. 1) Brake Contamination on the pads, 2) Might be time to bleed the lines, could have an air bubble, 3) Caliper could be getting "sticky".

Also remember to check your rear drums to make sure everything is OK in there... You could be having a small leak in a wheel cylinder.

Hope it helps.

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS with ZZ4 Power!
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts Member #350
WebSite http://www.magma.ca/~ssoltesz/steves/1964.htm

·
Registered
283 Posts
Brakes is one of those things that if you have to ask, better take it to the pros. Watch the newspaper for someone that will give their opinion for free. The problem could be just wheel cylender or a combination of other things,if its simple and cheap let them do it. If its high dollar stuff get back to us an we'll walk you through it.
Note: Stand where you can watch what they are doing. Keeps e'm honest.
Harley

·
Registered
183 Posts
HI TIMG, when you step on your brakes and it pulls to the left with dics brakes, it means that the caliper on the right is not working. I know it sounds strange but what is happening is the right caliper is not pushing the pads against the rotor or their is air in that caliper. Pull right wheel and have someone press brakes, see if it is frozen. Hope this helps. BILL

------------------
BILL TIRELLI TEAM CHEVELLE MEMBER#280 1969 BLK CHEVELLE SS396 375HP 4SP 410 POSI

·
Registered
124 Posts
it also could be a brake hose causing it. normally if it pulls when you 1st hit the brake and than gradualy goes straighter its a hose. if it is a continuous steady pull its probaly a caliper.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to give an update.
I found the problem

What happened was the castle nut on the drivers side steering arm had no cotter pin in it. Because of this, the nut was loosening and was allowing movement in the steering.

Wanted to thank you all for your suggestions.

Thanks,
Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.