Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.classicmusclecars.com/cg...6299&bl=m-;;k-;;nhs-30;;status-Available;;sb-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965...cks?hash=item2c50572b45&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Looks like a solid car, but it's so far from even looking like a Z16 it should be criminal for anyone to associate the term Z16 with this particular car. The bonehead can't even get the SS detailing correct (grill, rear panel). Ugh. Rule #1 of the '65 world: big block badges and Malibu SS badges on the front fenders DO NOT MAKE A Z16. And he forgot to remove the Malibu SS badges from the REAR fenders......

·
Registered
14,704 Posts
Just like every 327 motor is a corvette motor
and every muncie tranny is a M22
jim

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
Rich I guess it is the new sensation , much like any 70 with a 454. One difference about these Z-16's, you ain't gonna fake it. Being fortunate to have seen Tom Wright's on many occassions the real deal will take your breath away.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a 65 SS and I like the way my car looks...personally the Z-16 badges look odd to me and the rear lite missing the mldgs.Z-16 was a RPO(regular production option) that blue car looked hideous also.....I saw a guy on e-bay last year owns 2 Z16s both black and they were beautiful, and he turned down $285k

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
I think there is some over reaction here.

First of all it says Z-16 "continuation" right from the get go. Who knows what "continuation" means but I just don't see any pure Z16 heritage being alluded to anywhere.

He clearly admits it is a 454 "dressed / detailed (whatever) to look like a 375 HP......." He admits that there are parts that were never on the Z16 cars. One item in point is the MSD something that certainly is not original on a Z16.

I just don't see an attempt to market this car as a Z16. It might indeed be a nice weekend cruse car. As for the color I agree it has a certain Maaco look to it and the wheels don't work for me eather. That said I just can't worked up about this add and the car being some sort of Z16 sacriledge. It s just another BB powered 65 Chevelle and that seems to be what it is being marketed / described as IMHO.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I'll agree with Rich on this one. I get real tired of seeing Z 16 in any ad for a 65 that has a BB in it. Just leave Z 16 out, it serves no purpose to even use that designation.
to me, it implies that the seller thinks some buyers are so stupid that just saying Z 16 is worth extra $. I have a 65 with 396 flags and I would feel stupid saying it has anything to do with a Z 16. The color doesn't do much for the car and sure doesn't have anything to do with a Z 16.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Wow, Blue is actual my favorite color on a car, but that is absolutely disgusting. I would rather the car be diaper brown than that blue

·
Super Moderator
16,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just don't see an attempt to market this car as a Z16. It might indeed be a nice weekend cruse car. As for the color I agree it has a certain Maaco look to it and the wheels don't work for me eather. That said I just can't worked up about this add and the car being some sort of Z16 sacriledge. It s just another BB powered 65 Chevelle and that seems to be what it is being marketed / described as IMHO.
If he had no intention of marketing it as a Z16, or Z16 continuation in his words (whatever that's supposed to mean), they why did he mention Z16 at all?

It's the same with every 454 in a '70 Chevelle being an LS6....

·
Premium Member
28,903 Posts
do they make worlds smallest violin smiley face? :D
Some of you guys take things way too seriously. Its a cruise night quality car with an identity crisis...nothing more,nothing less.The market is full of cars like this,of all marques.Get over it :D
If he had no intention of marketing it as a Z16, or Z16 continuation in his words (whatever that's supposed to mean), they why did he mention Z16 at all?
call him and ask and report back ;)

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
do they make worlds smallest violin smiley face? :D
Some of you guys take things way too seriously. Its a cruise night quality car with an identity crisis...nothing more,nothing less.The market is full of cars like this,of all marques.Get over it :D

call him and ask and report back ;)
I gotta back ya up on this ne Mr. 4Speed!!!!

I suppose that continuation might mean "What a Z16 would have become IF the 454 was available in 65. A silly choice of words and a silly premise....... yeah OK. A sinister thing or an attempt at fraud...I think not.

Whatever this car is it is not a Z16 and nobody with Z16 like money is gonna get sucked in so "No harm no foul"! I just cannot see all the hyperventilating that goes on over cars like this one. I do get tired of the "Every 70 with a 454 is an LS6" BS but in the Z16 world we are talking about 201 cars NOT a few thousand cars. Given those numbers of cars 201 versus a few thousand the danger of a fraud getting "Real McCoy" like prices is just invisible.

It just seems like there are other things to worry about besides a car that is clearly billed as a Z16 "Continuation" whatever that means.

·
Registered
13,006 Posts
It is the same reason that everyone with a 3310 Holley thinks it's for a Z16.

·
Super Moderator
16,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And why do so many of you guys get so worked up over others of us pointing out some people's ridiculous claims? ;) If such threads irritate you, why do you even bother to respond in them when you are basically asking us the same question yet doing the same thing? :clonk:

It all boils down to this: terms like Z16 and LS6 actually stand for something, something pretty specific. It's irritating to see people use those words without respect to what they really mean. Language and specific meanings for terms DO matter. From a purely attention getting perspective, don't you think the seller would have more luck describing the car for what it is instead of getting all kinds of negative comments for incorrectly using the term Z16?

If I wanted to rant on about more important stuff, I'd hang out in CE. Well, then again, maybe not.

·
Premium Member
28,903 Posts
And why do so many of you guys get so worked up over others of us pointing out some people's ridiculous claims? ;) If such threads irritate you, why do you even bother to respond in them when you are basically asking us the same question yet doing the same thing? :clonk:

It all boils down to this: terms like Z16 and LS6 actually stand for something, something pretty specific. It's irritating to see people use those words without respect to what they really mean. Language and specific meanings for terms DO matter. From a purely attention getting perspective, don't you think the seller would have more luck describing the car for what it is instead of getting all kinds of negative comments for incorrectly using the term Z16?

If I wanted to rant on about more important stuff, I'd hang out in CE. Well, then again, maybe not.
l:)
at least the "Z16 continutation car" isn't advertised with a $55,000 "buy it now" price,an Atlanta buildsheet and a Canadian cowl tag. Thats just wrong...even fraud.
The 65 is a $19,000 wanna be that happens to offend you because of the verbage the seller used :D
I do agree the seller should omit the Z16 comparison,but its really a moot point.
I bet the seller looks like this:

·
Registered
13,006 Posts

·
Registered
5,466 Posts

I still stand by my position. Where is the harm? He doesn't claim the car is a Z16. He just does not say that anywhere!!!! All the ultra sophisticated car watchers know this car is not a Z16, they are not gonna get caught by a representation that is not there in the first place. Other folks who don't know any better than to identify what this car is being represented as are not hurt eather.

Yes it is silly no it is not fraud. Smile at it, laugh at the guy of ya want..hell send him a nasty E-mail if you really gotta get it off your chest. What happened to live and let live? Just walk away, laugh to yourself if you have to and then move on. Things like this car just don't pass the test of being worth the passion expended.

Perhaps all this means that I don't have the hobby truly embedded inside my blood. More to the point I know I don't have the hobby as it is evolving today embedded in me. I just enjoy the cars as they are, some I like, some I don't like. Some are 100% original some are 100% fabrications. Both are nice IMHO. I can't ( more to the point I WON"T) spend an extra dine for some numbers perfect car I don't really care for as opposed to a non numbers car at a lower price. These cars are just not worth the money to me and I guess that means I don't think the badges and cowl tags and firewall chalk marks stand for as much to me as they do to some people. If I like the non numbers car I would certainly buy that car first.

This would be very different if the asking price was $250K and the car was being passed of as a real Z16. Nether of those things is happening here. Even if BOTH of those conditions were met the car is clearly not a Z16 and I cannot see anyone spending $250K on what is clearly a knock off of sorts...a bad knock of at that.

There are a lot of things that "Stand for something" in this world. A set of badges on a fender and a manufactured term like "Continuation" when referenceing an old car just don't pass muster for me to get all riled up about. People are just taking this hobby way to seriouly lately. I should add that I get just as shook up by all this pure numbers nonsense (nonsense to ME that is) as I do about people getting shook up about non numbers cars like this one. Call me old school but I enjoy the cars for what they are. I enjoyed the days when you could build a car your way and you did not have to stand the relentless scrutiny of evey nut, bolt, washer and wire that has become standard practice today.

The car is likely a nice driver. It is not for me because personally I hate the color. If I were looking for a car and this Continuation was another color I might buy it depending on what price I could negotiate. Honestly it sounds like a fun driver...I always liked the 65 cars, a real BB 65 is outta my reach (and if I had the money I would not spend it on a car) so this car might be a good toy for me except for the color.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts