Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the newest mags just pulled a 6.0L iron truck motor, put a carb and ignition on it, stuck a cam in it and dyno'd at 480hp. Total price was like $2000. Granted these are magazine power #'s, but thats still at least 450hp with accesory's. And thats mostly stock. My question is whats the reason to build a Gen I when the GenIII's are getting so cheap? I haven't even started my stroker and Im thinking about selling it and going this route.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
I'm just getting started on swapping the head gaskets in my 5.3 in a 2000 GMC and I would do 5 Gen 1 motors to this freakin thing, The old ones were SOOO easy to work on. I like working on my 406SB but absoutley HATE working on this truck.

LK

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
I can't even find a gen III in a junk yard around here, and any used sources will be well over $2000 before I do anything to it.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I'm just getting started on swapping the head gaskets in my 5.3 in a 2000 GMC and I would do 5 Gen 1 motors to this freakin thing, The old ones were SOOO easy to work on. I like working on my 406SB but absoutley HATE working on this truck.

LK
i disagree, but its all a matter of opinion. i enjoy working on either and have found that the gen 3's are quite easier to do cam swaps on than gen1's. they are pretty much the same to work on to me.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
You're right about the swap as far as a short list of parts needed but untill theres a million out there in the recycling yards my gen1 is fine.

There was an artical in CHP with a Gen1 Vs. a Gen3 and same money was spent 402 Vs. 406 and made very close to the same numbers (less than 10 apart) The one thing they did say was the 402 Gen3 was more streetable.

Here it is.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/t...s/0701ch_chevy_small_block_engine_dyno_tests/

·
Super Moderator
13,358 Posts
put a carb and ignition on it

This is the part I can't understand ... if I was goint to put a GENIII in a Chevelle, or other older vehicle, it would have all of the fuel injection and elecronics that belong on it.

Just my opinion,

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'd say we build them because of nostalgia and looks. The LS motors are butt ugly. I would put one in something maybe post 72'.
I do like the power they have. We get those snub nosed Izuzu trucks at work that have the 6.0 motors in them and before we put bodies on them they'll easily smoke all 4 back tires. Those trucks even come with 4:10 gears from the factory. I've been telling them at work we should build one with a hollowed out body and drag race it for advertising purposes. They just don't think like I do. Later--Mac

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the part I can't understand ... if I was goint to put a GENIII in a Chevelle, or other older vehicle, it would have all of the fuel injection and elecronics that belong on it.

Just my opinion,
High pressure fuel system, wiring, usually a bit more exspencive, and upping the CFM of a carb is alot less exspencive then a TB and fuel injectors with FI. Thats my guess at least. Look at GM's LS2, its a carb'd crate motor. The Ls1 that came first was FI'd.

·
Registered
802 Posts
ls1 is much easier to inject. one fuel line makes things alot easier.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
The new gen. small blocks can make unreal power. The new 6.0 cad heads flow an amazing 370 cfm.thats sb2 and big block territory.These heads ona 450 ci lsx block and we have an easy 650 hp that idles smooth.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Because some guys want original or nostalgic looks. A restoration of a 67 chevelle with a LS-1 engine would be tough to pull off as complete (unless it's on ebay, you could get documentation then).

And the whole metric thing.
Ask a Canadian what size ratchet they use with a 14mm socket....

·
Gold Founding Member
10,970 Posts
SOME of us don't appreciate non-Chevy engines in our Chevelles.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I find the Gen1 stuff is a lot easier to get into. I mean you can get a buildable short block for a couple hundred bucks, and the 'payments' to the machine shop are attainable.

For many of us, it's easier than saving up a couple thousand (or more) for a buildable long-block.

I'm confident that once the new stuff is comparable (price-wise) to the early stuff, the Gen1 engines will begin to pass into the past. But, I was able to get my 383 together for about 5,500 and I had a full year to pay it off, which made it possible for me. It makes great power and I'm happy with it.

I'd consider an LS-based engine in the future, but the 6.0 block I'd like to build upon is still a pricey piece on the used market compared to a 350 4-bolt truck block or similar. The issues with the pricier electronics and especially the need for 'custom' headers is an issue with our classic vehicles.

Then, you have to back it with a transmission...and those choices are both limited and pricey too.

~Scotch~

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
The same reason I like flatheads in streetrods. It's just right!

Gen III's are not very plentiful in the wrecking yards yet so the prices are still way too high. I can but a rebuildable 350 for $400-$500. They want $2000 for a 5.3L and who wants to start with an engine that small. The last 6.0L was quoted at $3000 and an alum. 5.7L was $4500.

G

·
GM shoulda put an LS- "TYPE" topend on the old block we like so much imho AND then seen if they needed to create the LS- series in the first place..

Well, you say our old block isn't strong enough!! SO just pour it out of the new high-strength CG cast-iron material and be done w/ it!!!!

ANd I love it when they brought out the new LS- block and it has 6! read "SIX", 6 bolts around the cylinders when they started w/ 4!!!!

Same way with the NOW rect port heads when they started off Cathedral shaped....

AND GM's made all sorts of valve-angled heads so why not use the 10 degree Buick jobbers w/ modern ports like the latest LS- heads have???

I will stop here.......................

Not happy about all this at all........

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
289 Posts
whats the reason to build a Gen I when the GenIII's are getting so cheap? --because there is a huge supply of { usually reasonably priced } parts and because I can, and because I want to :thumbsup: next question, LOL ! ;)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts