Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't remember the brand of the weatherstripping, but it seems to fit horribly - check out these pics:

These pics are with the vent window closed as far as it will go - but I don't know that any adjustment on the vent window angle would really help - looks like you can see straight through between the bottom of the window and the top of the strip (check the second pic). The back edge strip has split and is rusting (see first pic) but this stripping is only three years old so I have to question the quality.

Is this about average for the repro weatherstripping, did I get the wrong brand, or does it look like I've got the wrong part number installed?

*edit* - might be important to mention what car, this is my 69 Elky.

[This message has been edited by derekf (edited 02-09-2003).]

·
Registered
740 Posts
I know that they make a Sedan Version and a Coupe Version for vent windows. I was going to buy Metro but they only make the Sedan version. I haven't changed mine yet on my 68 yet.

69's came with vent windows??? I didn't know they did

·
Registered
659 Posts
I replaced mine a while back and there are similiar gaps. They seem to seal OK.

I found mine leak around the glass. Seems like the goop that they put in when they install the glass is cracked. Water runs off the roof and falls directly on the glass and seeps in through the cracks. I guess I will have to find someplace to remove and re-install the vent glass.

You might check that your window is not leaking the same way.

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 4bbl & 2004r

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cperrell:
I replaced mine a while back and there are similiar gaps. They seem to seal OK.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can hear the wind howling through the gaps at highway speeds and can see sunlight between the window and seal when closed.. Do you happen to remember what brand you put in yours? I know I'll end up replacing these and figure I'll keep trying until I get a set that fits well.

After I think about it, I am relatively sure I bought these from one of the dealers at one of the local swapmeets, I'll find out what brand they carry when next they come around in April.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I am not sure the brand, but I got it from Muscle Factory.

From talking to Year One and some others, unless you order directly from the weatherstrip manufacturer, it is a toss-up as to what you get. I was told they order from whoever is cheapest at the time they restock.

I've heard that Metro is the best, followed by softseal.

You might try to see if you can stuff the seal into the forward edge better. I remember I had a hard time getting the seal into that deep groove (never did get it in all the way). This might help shift the seal closer to the window.

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 4bbl & 2004r

1 - 6 of 6 Posts