Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my car sits for an extended period of time with a charged battery (I use a battery maintainer)why do my taillights stop working? Last night I took the El Camino out after the car was sitiing for 2 weeks without using the headlights and the taillights didnt work. Bad ground? What I have to do is get the battery charger and then hook up the (+)to the wires underneath (spliced and redone by a previous owner) and then hook up the (-) to the bumper which turns them on and usually they would work after that, with the switch (for a while anyway). Why do they do this?

------------------
1970 Chevy El Camino (Custom) Non-SS
Will be Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top (now black)
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear - Factory PS, PB, PW, A/C & More
My El Camino Home Page
Owner - 1969 Snowco Trailer
Team Chevelle Member #995
"..dreams turn into dust and blow away"- Dionne Warwick (1968)

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
does the car blow a fuse or just lose the lights? Just the running lights or stop lights or both?

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros
61 impala bubbletop
TC member #493

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sounds to me like you may have a bad connection in the splices. When you hook up the charger you probably move the wires around and it makes connection again. I'd check those connections first.

------------------
Dave Knapp
TC #388
ACES # 3474
'70 SS 396
L34

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Shawn,

I think you just answered your own question, you stated:

...hook up the (+)to the wires underneath (spliced and redone by a previous owner) and then hook up the (-) to the bumper

With any jury rigged wiring, is it any wonder there are unreliable lights in your Elky. I would asses how bad the wiring is, if it is too "messed with" time to get a new harness(s). Much safer that way too.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just the running lights, which would be side marker lights, taillights and license plate lamp. The brake lights always work no matter what. I guess a new harness would be the way to go. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
All of the lamps you mentioned are on the same circuit, fed by the same fuse. You have it narrowed down pretty well.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What the guy did with the wiring was, he cut out all the original wiring underneath the car in the back and the spliced in new wiring and that might be were the problem is. They are all twisted together. I thought it might be the switch. Would the magnet in the dash speaker (non-original speaker)above the switch affect it in any way? That was also what I was thinking.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't think the magnet from your speaker would affect your switch at all. The switch is designed to give a pretty good connection because it's dealing relatively high current when the lights are on.

It sure sounds like it's the patched up wiring that's your problem. Especially if he used physical splices.

------------------
Dave Knapp
TC #388
ACES # 3474
'70 SS 396
L34

1 - 8 of 8 Posts