Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that a hydraulic lifter is quiet and you can hear the valvetrain in a solid lifter setup "click" but why. If you adjust the lash, when the motor heats up there should be no "smacking" of parts. I mean if the roller lifter is always on the cam and there is no clearance betwen the valve and the rocker once the parts heat up to take up the lash, then what is the noise I hear?
A friend once told me he could hear a solid setup. He knows what he is talking about. But what is the noise?

·
Super Moderator
13,009 Posts
Michael,
On a solid lift camshaft, there is always lash in the valve train. If you look at the valve adjusting specs, they almost always say to adjust the valves with the motor hot. So what you hear is the clearance being taken up everytime a valve opens.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
105 Posts
My hydraulics click.......is something wrong?

------------------
Eric Hunter
[email protected]

461 9.5:1CR Holley 750DP Weiand Stealth TH400 12bolt posi 2.73's or 3.08's havent figured it out yet

I spent 14 days not drinking, not smoking, and eating carefully....all I lost was two weeks.

·
Registered
834 Posts
My fast bleed/rhoads lifters made a clicking noise. Regular hydraulics shouldn't be makin any noise.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Because of my velle, i'm broke, cut, bruised, tired, dirty, sweaty, and loving EVERY minute of it"
My Page

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.