Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a hot start problem somewhere in my ignition, no spark when the car is hot but let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes and it fires right up. I have 11.7 volts at the coil (with no load when hot) and assumed it was the module in the msd distributor. Got the distributor rebuilt and the problem did not go away. A friend of mine installed a resitor several years ago (when converting to hei) claiming I need it to prevent the ignition switch from burning up. Anyway, do I need this resistor? Also, with the points system there was an extra wire (maybe two) that went down to the starter, I just taped those wires off and did not use them with my new starter, could this be where my problem is?

·
Registered
519 Posts
points distributor need resistor to coil so points don't burn up. On electronic ignitions, no points to burn, no resistor needed, just be sure that ignition has 12 volts all the time, both in start and run ignition switch positions. small wires at starter, one is bypass up to coil for ignition, the other was from the ignition switch to engage solenoid and starter.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, but when cold I also had 11.7 volts at the coil and the car started fine. But the one thing I never tested was how many volts dropped when cranking the engine hot or cold. I pulled the resistor off the car last night and will get another one at napa on the way home just to see if that part is really the problem. Over the winter I may upgrade to a internal voltage regulated alternator and bypass this resistor at the same time but I don't want to burn up my ignition switch.

·
Registered
906 Posts
the resistor is your problem, remove it and i bet your problem goes away.

with or without the resistor there is still 12 volts going through the switch, so removing the resistor isnt going to put any more load on the switch than is already there.

besides, cars that came equipped with hei ignitions never had resistors and they didnt have switch problems(as far as burning up).

·
Registered
650 Posts
Seen this problem before. I'm betting the problem is the coil. Replace it and see if the problem goes away.

Keep that resistor out of there unless MSD says to use it.

Steve

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel kinda stupid, turns out it wasn't a resistor it's a relay (with a built in fuse). I tried a couple of parts stores but nobody seems to have one, the local speed shop said to bypass it and as a precaution use an inline fuse. For now I made myself a jumper wire with alligator clips so I can hook one end to the + side of the coil and the other end to the + side of the battery and it fires right up no matter how hot the engine is. Then I can quickly disconnect it and go on my way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts