Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all of my dash lights stay on when the key is completely backed off but not in the acc. position. the battery is charging right now because the headlights were left on last night and the battery went dead. it's a seventy two with a 350 and a three wire alternator. can the dead battery have anything to do with the lights staying on. could the lights running have fused something. I have also manually taken out the ignition switch and checked the gears inside the column. any ideas ?????

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Your lights should work regardless of where your key is set; they are not on a circuit controlled by the key. Are you saying that your dash lights are on when the lights are off, or are you expecting them to turn off with the key?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my dash lights are on ... not the headlights. they are on when the key is off.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
It the headlight switch pushed all the way in? Does rotating the headlight switch change the brightness? Strange problem. I haven’t seen a headlight switch go bad this way. The thing I would try next is: Pull the dash lamp fuse. It’s the short fuse on the bottom center of the fuse block. When you pull that fuse the dash lights should go off.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Do you have any aftermarket electrical accessories that you have added lately? I'm grasping at straws here, but a possible scenario would be if an aftermarket stereo was added, and an always-hot line (for retaining presets and clock) got tied to an existing dash lamp circuit.
It's often that recent work performed on a car is the cause of a new problem, so if you recently added gauges or stereo or anything electrical, check there first.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zero new work...well door panels...hope i didn't wire those up wrong j/k. nope no new work.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pulled fuse today...results...gremlin!!! when i pulled the fuse the lights went out on the dash. When i turn the key to the on position the lights came on the dash !?!?!?!? no clue guys. electrical is not my forte.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Interesting. Not seen this happen before. I assume we are talking about the lights behind the speedometer are coming on. If so:
Remove the dash pad. It is held on by 6 screws. 2 are behind the glove box door. It helps to push down on the brake and put the trans shifter into the lowest gear so you can get the pad past it.
The left (drivers side) speedometer light bulb has a grey wire on it. That socket quarter turns into the circuit board. This is the power or feed light for all the dash lights.
Remove this light bulb from the cicuit board. Reinstall the small dash light fuse. See how every thing works again.
This light should only come on with the headlight switch. It should not come on with the key swich on and the headlight switch off. The other lamps, in the circuit board, should not come on at all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The lights that i am speaking of are the brake and gen light. Those were the only lights that were working to begin with when this problem happened.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Hmmmm, those aren't dash lights. Those are a couple of the idiot lights. Try pulling the connector out of the alternator and see if that shuts both off when you turn the key on.
Gone until the morning. Time for a beer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
now a new problem has developed...the key will not shut the engine off...it will start it but not turn it off. I have already tried taking the ign. switch out and reversing the ignition manually but to no success. could these things be connected?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Do you have a MSD box in the car? Have you pulled the alternator connector plug out and checked if the idiot lights go out.
Doubt the problem has anything to do with the ignition switch or the column.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when alternator is connected the dummy lights stay on in the keys off position and dim slightly in the accessories position. when i disconnected the white and blue wire to the alternator there were the same results.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
a, when alternator is connected the dummy lights stay on in the keys off position

b, dim slightly in the accessories position.

c, disconnected the white and blue wire to the alternator there were the same results.

*Scratches Head*
Can't be the ignition switch because those lights don't get power in OFF or ACC.
Pull the connector off the voltage regulator and see what happens. On a 72 you will have to remove that round vapor canister on the left side of the radiator to get at it.
There might be another problem in the brake light circuit but let's see if that keeps the GEN light from coming on.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
as I can only read whats being said ... & can't check it out myself .. I'll venture to say you have a short in the dash wiring harness ... melted hot lead to the light circuts that woun't turn off ... & in last post you said car woundn't turn off... its getting worse..find someone who can help you .... in mean time disconect battery when your not trying to find problem

1 - 20 of 36 Posts