Chevelles.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that so many dash clocks don't work? Also, is it worth repairing an original, or would you recommend replacing the guts with a quartz movement? I'm torn over the "not original" issue but don't want to keep throwing $$$ away on a bad clock design.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I think in your case it's due to too much brat greese in the air floating up from she-boy-gan.

I believe it's just because the mechanical components wear out after 30 years. As for rebuilding, there's only 2 things that change when you go to quartz: The seconds needle doen't move in steps (it moves contantly), and you don't get the ticking sound. Other than that, it's the same.

Personaly, I'd recommend going to quartz as it just works better. Find someone who will return the original parts and then you'll have them should you ever want to convert back. We had this done for our 72 Vette and have been quite satisfied

Kurt

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
I will explain ALL OF THIS in my nifty on-line clock rebuilding tutorial. Please be patient, it will be a while as I'm busy finishing up Team Chevelle's Radio webpages coming this month.

It's because of lubrication, mechanical, and electrical issues. If you're really curious.

Joe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, and yes I'm very interested and will be watching for the clock repair segment.

Thanks to Kurt for the repair info & phone number. Those guys really seem to know dash clocks, and I love the 24 hr turnaround!

Jeff

·
Administrator
16,156 Posts
One thing to consider is that a clock that doesn't work is more accurate than one that runs slow or fast. At least it is correct twice a day.

·
Registered
290 Posts
my clock stop working took it apart found a small wire broke off fix it now she works.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's amazing what a few spider webs can do to keep the clock from running.

------------------
Bob Murray 66 Malibu
Greenfield, Indiana (Indianapolis)
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/bobm_SC1
TC Gold #49
Aces #01941
NCOA #20838

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Philip
Problem with mine is its stuck at Beer:30

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
Why do the job only once?
I'm usually quicker the third time :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I repaired the VDO clock in my 911 (which is very similar to the one in my Chevelle!) by just cleaning it and lubricating the movement. When I tried the same approach to the Chevelle clock, it still didn't work accept for a couple of minutes at the most.
I haven't replaced it yet, but I plan on buying another instrument cluster and rebuilding my entire setup in the process. The clock will likely be a quartz setup.
Dan
++++

·
Registered
15 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coppertop:
I will explain ALL OF THIS in my nifty on-line clock rebuilding tutorial. Please be patient, it will be a while as I'm busy finishing up Team Chevelle's Radio webpages coming this month.

It's because of lubrication, mechanical, and electrical issues. If you're really curious.

Did you ever finish you online clock rebuilding tutorial? If so, where can I find it? Dangee

Joe
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
15 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Byfield:
I think in your case it's due to too much brat greese in the air floating up from she-boy-gan.

I believe it's just because the mechanical components wear out after 30 years. As for rebuilding, there's only 2 things that change when you go to quartz: The seconds needle doen't move in steps (it moves contantly), and you don't get the ticking sound. Other than that, it's the same.

Personaly, I'd recommend going to quartz as it just works better. Find someone who will return the original parts and then you'll have them should you ever want to convert back. We had this done for our 72 Vette and have been quite satisfied

Kurt
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Kurt! Who did you find to do your clock in your 72 Vette. Did they return your original parts? Dangee

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Looks like you've been searching. Coppertop isn't around much. Byfield doen't venture in here much. Try a SEARCH on Redrum's name. Think he posted an address. I'll look later if you get stuck.

*EDIT*
Here's one name. http://www.autoinstruments.com/

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 12-14-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's a business in northern wisconsin that does nothing but repair automotive clocks. He's done MANY, MANY chevys. He'll install a quartz movement and return the original parts. If you'd like, I can look up the name/address.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts