Chevelles.com banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
No kidding....that's like 40 minutes up the road from me....I wonder how long ago this was? Half of Louisville is under water right now! What drives me nuts about these barn finds is that they never tell you what they paid
Most of the as found shots were taken November 4th/5th of last year. I was back two weeks later to pick the car up. As can be seen in several of the photos the car was sitting in 3" of water. Fortunately that was from a terrible rain storm just days before I got there. There was not a single speck of rust on the car anywhere and even parts that were under the water for a few days were rust free.

Why does it bother you what someone paid for a car? In my opinion that is somewhat personal and no ones business. All it starts is a whole other argument. Paid too much, not enough, family got screwed, buyer got screwed, I'm not paying that much because you only paid this much....... Get my point.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
In this case, a well-earned reputation with credibility probably made the deal more reassuring for the seller family as well as presented a very rare opportunity for Rick and Ann. There is no doubt in my mind that all of the things I mentioned in the first paragraph definitely came into play. :thumbsup:
I can only hope that was the case. Made what I do and who I am finally pay off. I did ask the seller (family member) why me? He said he originally contacted me to see about having the car restored. If they decided not to restore then he asked if I had any customers who would be interested. I asked how he found me and said he typed in 'Chevelle restoration' on Google and our company kept coming up. Then he Googled me personally and checked me out there as well as Facebook before he called me. I gave him a quote as well as told him all the things to do and not do with regards to restoring or selling and never once made any inclination that I was interested in buying it nor did I pressure him about the car. It actually never crossed my mind.

2 weeks later he called and said they decided to sell and asked if I could find a buyer. I said sure, send me an email with many photos, what went with the car and his asking price. I got it and fortunately did not call anyone about it but rather went home to eat dinner. While eating with Annie I mentioned the car, the pictures and the price and told her I needed to find a buyer. Without hesitation she threw her fork at me at told me to get my a$$ in the truck and go get the damn car. I reminded her I worked in and owned a collector car restoration shop and did not have that kind of money. She said she would buy it and that (I) would be doing the restoration to make it a 50/50 deal. I said, "yes dear". Honestly and as stupid as it may sound I did not once think that we would be the new owner of this car. If not for Annie I would not be. Hell of a woman!

I will also give a LOT of credit to the family. They were absolutely wonderful to deal with, kept me in the loop every minute of the day about the car, invited me down to remove it from the garage and were as honest as anyone I have ever met. A gentleman even showed up on the third day we were there and offered the seller a great deal more money than the seller had set and he said thank you but no, we already made a deal with Rick. No money down, just a handshake. When's the last time that has held up. Great family!

We have been offered a LOT of money for this car already but told both parties, it is NOT for sale, and I am talking A LOT of money. She and I finally bought a car together and she wants to help in the entire restoration process so that is what we intend to do.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Cool story, congratulations on finding and buying the car. Hard work and acting honourably does pay off...or at least I think so!!

It doesn't matter what you paid, what you could make or lose on it... Sounds like the seller was happy, you're happy and the car has a new chapter.

ak

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,169 Posts
FANTASTIC find - congrats, Rick & Annie!! :bow:

No kidding....that's like 40 minutes up the road from me....I wonder how long ago this was? Half of Louisville is under water right now! What drives me nuts about these barn finds is that they never tell you what they paid
Because it's nobody else's business; and it's impolite to ask people what they paid for anything.

I completely understand the curiosity factor - Lord knows I am guilty - but it's still nobody's business.

;)

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Hell of a woman!

No money down, just a handshake. When's the last time that has held up.
Agreed. When we went to look at our '68 L79 in 2014, my wife told me to go ahead and buy it. It was a lot of cash for us, and if she had said no, I wouldn't have bought it.

That was also a no money down handshake sale, and the seller followed through even though I couldn't get back to pick up the car for another month.

Wives/GFs that support our Chevelle addiction, and handshake sellers and buyers, are rare these days.

One more thing. Although I am ALWAYS curious, I never ask what someone paid for their car. That's between buyer and seller.

Reactions: davewho1

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Yes, but that fork thing needs to be addressed. :D
Rick's lucky it was just a fork! She's got a mean left hook-ask me how I know! :grin2:

Rick and Annie are the best.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, Rick. The what did you pay for it question always comes up. I had a close friend (older gentleman) that was like a second father to me that passed away. We would attend car shows and traded work on cars all the time. He had a 66 Super Sport and a 67 Camaro Super Sport (4P) car. I wanted the Camaro, but never asked about it. He had a son that I figured would get the cars. One day his wife phoned me and asked what the value would be for the cars and she had some high numbers. I ask her wasn't she keeping them for her son and she said she needed the money. The numbers were too high for me, so I told her she may get her price and then again she may not.

A little time went by and she kept getting lower offers and was getting very disgusted with people making lower offers. She phoned me again and asked me why, and my reply was people are only wanting to get them as cheap as they can. I ask her did she really want to sell them and she said yes. I told her that I would like the Camaro and that it would never be sold and her reply was it's yours. I told her to figure out a price and let me know. She phoned me the next day with price under one condition. The condition was that I would never tell anyone the selling price and I promised that to her. I now own the Camaro and have kept my promise until this day and that has been 5 years. She by no means gave it to me, but gave me a good price. I'm asked all the time what I paid for it and I just say it was a good price. She passed away about a year ago and a promise is a promise. Her son ended up getting the Chevelle after her death.

Bill

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Sounds like it might be a good story. So I'm asking, how you know?
Hi Mike, don't know if it's a good story, but here goes....

I used to attend the Super Car Reunions every year in Collinsville, Illinois. So for SCR XI, in 2008...I decided to "tell a little white lie" and let everyone know that due to having a new boss, that I wouldn't be going to the reunion that year. Only a few folks knew what was actually happening-Rick and Annie weren't "in the know".>:)

What actually happened was that instead of me going to the reunion alone, I brought the entire family from AZ. The two pictures below are when Rick (And Annie) find out the actual truth...and I got hit by Annie (Their ZL-1 is in the background) :grin2:

I don't lie to her any more....LOL:wink2:

Reactions: 12stones

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Not much of a story. Everybody does burnouts in the parking lot on the north side where all the trailers were parked. I was leaving the lot and happened to be on the south side and drove by someone I knew (don't recall who). They yelled to smoke them so with all 600 ponies nailed I did just that evidently to the dismay of a nearby family that was getting out of their car. Shortly after arriving back to the lot I was greeted by one of the hotels finest (in blue) who then proceeded to publically shame me in front of my peers regarding exhibition driving. Thinking it best to just keep my mouth shut (so that I could remain at my designated hotel) I did just so, smiled and said yes occifer and proceeded to bow my head, turned and walk back towards the trailers and multiple snickering fellow car enthusiasts while showing a slight smile and wink. End of story.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts