Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I've ever seen a Chevelle that had a clock that actually worked unless the movement had been replaced.
Why is that?
Cheapo GM clocks? Heat? Lube dries up?

Just was wondering this as one of lfe's great imponderables today.

K

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It's the mechanical contacts. They get pitted.

------------------

Springfield, Ohio

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>name: D.G. & my 70 Malibu
<LI>http://home.woh.rr.com/dgadams
<LI>TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
<LI>eBay username: dg98adams
<LI>"Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software"
[/list]

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
My '64s clock is still ticking

Usually what happens is the contacts on the electromagnet get arc'd and won't conduct or they weld and it fries the coils in the magnet.
I took mine apart, carefully hosed the workings down with brake-clean, then misted a fog of WD over it. Some 600G wiped through the contacts, apply power, and tick,tick.

------------------
'64 El Camino
383 - TH-350 - 12bolt - 4wh pwr discs
Bedded down for the Winter.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I remember hearing somewhere that if a car's battery were left to go dead, it could harm the clock too.

Anyone else ever hear that one?

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 C10 stepside 350
1971 Cheyenne 20 3/4 ton
Somebody stop me... :)

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

The 348/409 Chevrolet forum
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/187005

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
because when you are driving a Chevelle it doesn't matter what time it is. Everything else will have to wait.

------------------
Philip #42
1964 El Camino
1964 Malibu SS FOR SALE
1978 El Camino

·
Super Moderator
15,883 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gchandler:
The clock in my 66 still works, but it has to be the least accurate timepiece in the entire world.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HAHA! Same for the top-of-the-dash clock in my '65. It didn't run when I got it so I blew out the dust and gave it a light spray of WD-40 (about 20 years ago!) and it's run ever since. Won't keep time, but it runs!

------------------
NCOA member #220 ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998 YesterYears Chevys #52949
American Muscle Car Association #142
Rich Cummings
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
President, Heartland Chevelle Club
http://heartland.chevelles.net

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Like the others have stated most of the time the points are arc'd. I usually clean out the dust, soak with WD then gently blow that out also and finally apply a good clock oil. The ones I have repaired seem to be within a minute or 2 a week. The other thing I do is put a diode across the coil (just like they do on a relay) this keeps the arcing down and the points last longer.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
The only REAL way to keep your clock working is build a simple 1-transistor circuit inside the mechanism. Instead of the points switching all of the current thru the "kick-back" coil, the points are used to complete a very tiny current thru the transistor's base junction. The transistor will switch the current thru the rewind "kick-back" coil. By choosing the right resistor for base current (I'll be using a Darlington pair) transistor, the contacts will virtually last forever. I used teflon based lubricant. WD-40 offers no protection or lasting value. It's composition evaporates leaving unprotected surfaces.

A word to the wise, if you have any kind of show car, DO NOT get a quartz conversion. Your clock will no longer have a tic-tic-tic motion, but a smooth sweeping motion. Corvette judging events, for example, take off a ton of points if the clock isn't ticking correctly, regardless if it's working. Quartz conversions are NOT reversible.

Dang, I need to get that online clock tutorial done!

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Coppertop,just think of how much you could make if you offered the conversion you're talking about.
I know you're probably very busy, so the instructions would really be appreciated

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
213 Posts
I second that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't have a show car so I don't need the tick tick...What I would like is an acurate clock...where do I get a quartz conversion kit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts