Team Chevelle banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
6,002 Posts
:cool: Once Upon a Time I had a ride in a pro-street (1970 Plymouth) 'Cuda. Back halved / Tubbed with huge slicks. Dana Rear. Roll Cage. 440 tunnel ram with 2 carbs. 4 Speed. Fiberglass front end. The driver said "touch the dash" as he popped the clutch. There was no way I could touch the dash. That Cuda was THE quickest car I have ever ridden in (fastest was 1996 Caprice 9C1 at 149 MPH and pedal left)

Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Wheel

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
:cool: Once Upon a Time I had a ride in a pro-street (1970 Plymouth) 'Cuda. Back halved / Tubbed with huge slicks. Dana Rear. Roll Cage. 440 tunnel ram with 2 carbs. 4 Speed. Fiberglass front end. The driver said "touch the dash" as he popped the clutch. There was no way I could touch the dash. That Cuda was THE quickest car I have ever ridden in (fastest was 1996 Caprice 9C1 at 149 MPH and pedal left)

View attachment 742647
I guess he coulda taped a 50 dollar bill to the dash and you wouldn't of been able to grab it off of there, eh? :whistle:

Reactions: Muscle65

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Stories of topping out mom and dads 60 or 70s era car car" at 150?
some on another forum post about their Z how it pulls like a freight train over 100 7500-8000 redlines...sorry man NO. lol

Nooone has ever beat these guys in a race either. I lost most st races I engaged in & usually got busted.

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light Car Wheel

Bet this car was restored and rotting in some guys garage how sad
As a kid in the 70s remember seeing stuff like this on the st often.
The thread about views from the rear...this one takes the cake.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah - it's not just car shows, it happens at the race track too. Apparently EVERYBODY had a 65 Impala at one point. About a month ago I had this guy, 65-ish, overweight, rides up to me in the pit area on a golf cart, with his wife.

HIM: I sure do like that Impala
ME; Thanks!
HIM: Is it for sale?
Me: No
HIM: I'm serious, I buy lots of nice old cars
ME: Cool
HIM: So what would it take to buy it?
ME: It's not for sale
HIM: Would would it take to buy it today?
ME: What's your offer?
HIM: What do you want for it?
ME: If I had a for sale sign on it, it would be up to me to name a price. If you're going to keep on after I said it isn't for sale, you need to give me your all-in, no-negotiation, best price you'll pay. I'll give you a YES or NO.
HIM: (rides off on golf cart without another word)

Just another day in the life of an old car owner.
I'd say $500,000 (or more) just to see the look on his face. 🤯

If he says OK, then go buy yourself a new (old) car and wait for the next dummy to come up like he did...

My dad and I were talking the other day about this stuff and I said "everything is for sale, if someone offered you $500k, you'd take it" - Mind you, he is the original, only owner of his car - and he hesitated...
I said you could buy a new one and drop it off at (fill-in-the-blank) shop, have it done any way you want and still have money left over.
He said "I probably still wouldn't..."
Just goes to show how sentimental cars can be.

I wouldn't sell it either.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Since I repair bodies on old cars, I constantly get "they don't make em like they use to". My usual reply is "it's a good thing because they are death traps if you get into a serious accident".
Nah man my buddy went off the road and took out a couple trees and the car only had a scratch on the bumper. Yeah maybe a 6" tall shrub but you aren't plowing over a 50 year old oak tree and not dying on impact. Why people have to outright lie and embellish to the point it's ridiculous is beyond me. Makes me not want to take any of my cars out ever. I have zero patience or time for ridiculous fake stories.
I had a 71 LeSabre, 2dr, hardtop 350...a boat.
Fastish for what it was...a boat.

I had a few 🍺 (young and stupid...I know), turned a corner and nailed it, frosty road, lost control, went into a yard, nailed a 3' dia oak tree (hard), bent the bumper, bad, hood and fender were still pretty good - a week or two later they were cutting down the oak tree...boat (tank).

121 - 136 of 136 Posts