Team Chevelle banner
81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
I was talking to a guy when I had my 66 out. he saw the 142 blower and ask how much horsepower I had in the motor.....I told him I'd be happy if it was 300 hp. he just gawked for a second thinking I missspoke. 300hp blown? jim

·
Registered
812 Posts
The Tesla's fall into the boughten crowd yes, but you can't disregard electric performance.
I know this nut friend of a friend mines up here in my neck of the woods that has a 72 Datsun 1200 that spanks ass.
Home built electric car that runs 10.40's.

He has fun playing with people with a 10 second, stock looking car.

White Zombie electric car - Run 2: 10.400 @ 117.21 - PIR 2010/07/30 - YouTube

·
Registered
704 Posts
I don't think most car guys even understand what it take to run 9's.
Reminds of a surprise I got a few years ago.

I pitted next to a sleeper 69 post car at the track a few years back that looked like a grocery getter he inherited from his grandma.

Holey moley. He sure knew what it took to turn 9's. After his run I got a peek under the hood. Most beautiful dual turbo LS that I ever saw.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Reminds of a surprise I got a few years ago.

I pitted next to a sleeper 69 post car at the track a few years back that looked like a grocery getter he inherited from his grandma.

Holey moley. He sure knew what it took to turn 9's. After his run I got a peek under the hood. Most beautiful dual turbo LS that I ever saw.
i don't go to many car shows any more i only go to one or two and they are big ones for around here as for cruise nights maybe one or two during the season. when i did go i would stop them short they would start nice car thank you you know i had one of , these. then i would counter Oh you have one of these also they would say no i had one of these . i would then say do you still have the car then they would say no and i would say then there's no sense talking about it then is there. That would stop them cold and they would just move on real fast with some small talk, thankyou very much and that would stop a full barrel of do doo coming my way and me having to listen to it. i would sometimes leave my car locked and go look at other guys cars and if i admired something i would ask how they did it and what they used for parts or equipment and i would learn a few things or if i saw like a different way of doing something from what i knew i would ask is this something new i have never seen it don like this and the conversation would take off and get interesting and technical which proves there,s more than one way to skin a cat . Alex

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
Hey, I'll brag a bit, I got, apparently 605HP and CAN'T BREAK OUT OF THE 12s! The fifteen year old slicks aint helping, but its still missing MPH. Gas tank is out for an underskin redo, so everything is being checked from the sock forward. Pull that bronze-tipped fuel push rod and see if its worn.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,586 Posts
A friend of mine in the 70's (he's still a friend) had an early 60's Chevy II Nova SS 6 cyl PG that he dropped an L79 327 & 4 spd in, car was crazy on the street with street tires but seemed like it could be really fast with good tires (That never happened), friend said " It's about or over 700 hp" I use to just listen and think to myself "Self! There's cars at the Gator Nationals with around 700 HP!" LOL , his Hot Roddin' wife Totaled the car

·
Premium Member
17,352 Posts
…pretty soon every 325 HP automatic with 3:31’s was running 13.1’s too, at least to hear the owner tell it, even though the closest he’s ever been to a drag strip is the grandstands.
I had a 66 El Camino, original 325HP block and heads. I ran 13.1, Maybe it was 13.4? (1/4 mile) at about 111+ ( been quite a few years), with a 1-legger, on skinny whitewalls! I recall 60-ft were over 2 seconds

of course the car had 4:10s, TH400 with 3800 rpm stall, solid cam, big tube Hooker headers, and I left at idle…. If I tried to flash the converter it was nothing but tire smoke…. Actually won a few bracket racing trophy’s…

I bought the car as an ex-racecar, but not sure why it had an open rearend with 4.10s. Original 12-bolt though.

I bolted in another 12-bolt (4.10 posi), but never made it back to the track…

the car, with Rally wheels borrowed from Moms 68 Corvette
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
754 Posts
Listening to the ones that had... I ask where is it if it was soooo great? I would never sell a car like that....
Some times I used to say I was hard of hearing and ask the to repeat what they said a few times...
Not unlike sitting in the legion hearing the old boys tell their stories.. It's all many have left...those I respect.
But I have to agree when someone says you should.... I am thinking, "Shut your Mouth buddy!" But I reply with well that takes money so gonna give it to me to do it....?
I ask a lot of questions about the cars I see. trying to see what they did and how they did it... Take pictures of what looks good to me and if it doesn't I don't say a word... not my place... their car...
Still like going to them.
I have a "you should" for you, Casey. You should enjoy your car as you see fit, it's yours. :)

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I had a 66 El Camino, original 325HP block and heads. I ran 13.1, Maybe it was 13.4? (1/4 mile) at about 111+ ( been quite a few years), with a 1-legger, on skinny whitewalls! I recall 60-ft were over 2 seconds

of course the car had 4:10s, TH400 with 3800 rpm stall, solid cam, big tube Hooker headers, and I left at idle…. If I tried to flash the converter it was nothing but tire smoke…. Actually won a few bracket racing trophy’s…

I bought the car as an ex-racecar, but not sure why it had an open rearend with 4.10s. Original 12-bolt though.

I bolted in another 12-bolt (4.10 posi), but never made it back to the track…

the car, with Rally wheels borrowed from Moms 68 Corvette View attachment 742124
I believe the car, the mods, the ET all day long. To be totally honest, I would question the 111+ mph. Through a manual trans that'd likely be 113 mph. I barely hit 107 mph through a manual with a typical modified 454 (bored, intake, cam, headers, EFI, etc). To go 111+, or 113 equivalent would take a LOT more power. Is that likely with a 325 hp 396 with stock bottom end and heads + a cam and headers? I don't know about that.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything about it, that's just how my mind works.

·
Registered
1970 SS 396 25-C, 1966 SS R-R
987 Posts
66 SS 396-360 with cam, headers, square port heads, factory aluminum intake, 800 speed Holley, 4:10 rear, and 4-speed ran 13.86 at a little over 100 mph at National Trails in 1982. First and only time on the drag strip.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thursday 6/16/2022. Starts about 4 to 5 PM Going to a car show local one here in Chicago. No charge to show car. Its by the Harlem Ave & Foster Ave shopping center. By the O' Riley's auto parts.. Anybody here local to me come out. Lots of nice cars. Every time I go I hear a lot of war stories.

·
Premium Member
Vancouver BC Canada
2,501 Posts
🤣 This, again? How about those in 1970 that walked in and bought a Chevelle SS? You would have done it if you could. Back then, do you think those 40 years older than you would be sitting around saying you "went in and bought" it? Would you have given a crap?
Only an opinion... everyone has one...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I never understood the guys that always tried to one up you. They choose to come up to us (the car owner), perhaps make a compliment, perhaps a suggestion, or even a complaint. But then they go on to talk about the car they supposedly used to own that made more power and is faster than our car. I didn't ask, they don't have any proof, or even enough knowledge to make it believable, so what's the point?
Make them feel like they are somebody

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
In the early 80 s had a 65 GTO with a 1970 400 MarkIV 400 Pontiac Engine rebuilt by a Buick GTS 455 Racer
best run was a 13:31 et in the 1/4 at about 95+ MPH / Daily Driver Spring Summer Fall
Q Jet / Headers / TH 400 / 3.55 12 Bolt Posi / Pro Trac Street Tires
Rectangle Wood Tree Street light Wheel
Plant Vehicle Sky Flower Street light

Land vehicle Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Wheel
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
26 Posts
I come from a small town in NJ and can say that sometimes the stories are true. There was an older kid in the early to mid 80's named Pierre Melzer whose parents owned an auto parts store. He was a "brainiac" type that you commonly see in almost any hobby, including guns, mountain bikes, motorcycles etc., which is one of the reasons why America is still a superpower.

Pierre drove a '70 Chevelle done up in primer with the name 'Back in Black' written on the doors. The car had a built 454 and wider tires, probably 50's on the rear. He took me for a ride one day and punched it on a long stretch of highway near Lk Hopatcong called Mase Mountain (Some years later I would take my CBR 600 to 130-135mph there). Man, the Chevelle was like a rocket ship! I was truly pinned to the back of the seat and couldn't move off of it. After experiencing that power, I asked him how fast it was and he said "It can do high 10's in the quarter mile." I absolutely believe that what he said was true. I don’t know if he had a genius level iq or not, but I looked at him as an upper echelon gearhead.

The mechanic (who looked like a slightly more handsome Peter Fonda) at the Texaco station where I pumped gas had a '69 RA III GTO. I drooled over that thing and he said to me rather stridently, "Look, but don't touch!" This was one little town and there were quite a few guys around with very badass cars they liked to race (e.g., a built '63 Nova, a '67 Chevelle), but none were quite like that '70 LS6.

It was common then for guys to work on and modify their cars and the parts to go fast were definitely available. A couple (who were not specifically mentioned) were heavily into drugs and I can see them going through a rough stretch, losing everything, and later on in life showing up at a car show looking haggard and reminiscing about what they used to own; and exaggerating about it like some of the fisherman I've known in the past. You can usually tell if that's the case, though. It's no big deal, really. If you're offended by that, show me on a doll where it hurts you. It's probably better if you smile and humor them. They may need your deference.

·
Premium Member
17,045 Posts
Since I repair bodies on old cars, I constantly get "they don't make em like they use to". My usual reply is "it's a good thing because they are death traps if you get into a serious accident".
Nah man my buddy went off the road and took out a couple trees and the car only had a scratch on the bumper. Yeah maybe a 6" tall shrub but you aren't plowing over a 50 year old oak tree and not dying on impact. Why people have to outright lie and embellish to the point it's ridiculous is beyond me. Makes me not want to take any of my cars out ever. I have zero patience or time for ridiculous fake stories.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts