Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear I always get guys coming up to me and my car and want to start a conversation and it always leads to what they used to own, and I swear 95% of the time it is exaggerated BS.

I'm not talking about the make or model of the car, but how much power or how fast it ran. It seems that all these cars during the late 70s or early 80s all had 600 hp and ran low 12s or deep 11s, if not faster. Go to a car show and most of these "day 2" type street cars could barely run 13s. Performance parts of today vs what was available in the late 70s are massively improved, and yet these guys claim to be making the same or more power than engines of today. Was everyone Bill Jenkins or something?

Seems amazing how many ppl were pulling crazy fast short times with stock rear ends and stock suspensions on tires that are massively inferior to today, and most having a stock manual transmission to boot.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
I hardly ever go to shows anymore but back in the day I'd always get some dirtbag coming up and pointing out stuff an why theirs was better. You could just tell that they didn't have a pot to piss in. I'd ask where there car was and their stunned silence said it all. They either walked or rode a bicycle. 🙄

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Yes, the old 3/4 race cam stories and how it raised tires of the ground (with 235 size Radial TAs and stockish suspension). Then there are the late night around the beer keg stories where their car should run 11s (though never been to track). I was guilty of that in the early 1980s then I took my car to track and realized I was 1.5 seconds off in the 13s direction and its not as easy as everyone thinks. Then in 1989 I put a dyno proven 604 hp 468 in car and realized "oh, this is what it's suppose to be like".

·
Registered
15,965 Posts
They were all cooler than you... Just ask them and they'll tell you. ;)

I've heard the same "jump a coke can in a parking lot" and "hundred dollar bill on the windshield" stories so many times.

Car shows are kind of a joke, and anybody can claim anything. Last fall, the guy I parked next to "ran 9s" on a stock 10-bolt in his 71 Chevelle but couldn't remember his 60' or his trap speed. When I said mine ran 12.210 at 115, his response was "that's it?" Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure I'd smoke him. :)

I prefer to hang out with racers, at racetracks... we've all been humbled at some point.

·
Premium Member
28,543 Posts
I get just the opposite... I hear a lot of "you run 11's on those tires?"
I did have a guy at a local cruise tell me his very clean 1980 Camaro w/ 355 SBC with Edelbrock heads run high 9's at the track..so I said "in the 1/8 ?"
He said no, " in the 1/4"
I asked him about the 60 ft. and MPH..said he didn't know, his friend drove it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,965 Posts
I asked him about the 60 ft. and MPH..said he didn't know, his friend drove it. :rolleyes:
Those details must get harder to remember the faster you go. ;)

·
Registered
653 Posts
I swear I always get guys coming up to me and my car and want to start a conversation and it always leads to what they used to own, and I swear 95% of the time it is exaggerated BS.

I'm not talking about the make or model of the car, but how much power or how fast it ran. It seems that all these cars during the late 70s or early 80s all had 600 hp and ran low 12s or deep 11s, if not faster. Go to a car show and most of these "day 2" type street cars could barely run 13s. Performance parts of today vs what was available in the late 70s are massively improved, and yet these guys claim to be making the same or more power than engines of today. Was everyone Bill Jenkins or something?

Seems amazing how many ppl were pulling crazy fast short times with stock rear ends and stock suspensions on tires that are massively inferior to today, and most having a stock manual transmission to boot.
It's from inflation, 12 seconds in the 70's is the same as 14 seconds now.

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle Vortecpro 496, Hotchkis TVS Suspension, TH400, Factory 12 bolt/strange axles
415 Posts
its hilarious that we've all heard the same tall tales, i live in wyoming and use to race in South Dakota and it was all the same exact stories, $100 dollar bill nobody could ever grab, and wheel stands on street tires. Even to this day every time i stop for gas someone always approaches and says i use to have one just like this.......wish i never would have sold it.........its a 69 aint it.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
talking to a guy the other day and he remembers how his 69ss 396. chevelle would wheelie when the stoplight in the middle of town turned red. now my car picks up the tires about a foot at the track with 800 ponys and a 4.10 gear. but there is no way it will do it at the stoplight, all i get is tire smoke. i guess back in the 70s cars musta been a little quicker.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
This is why I only go to a car show if it is attached to a swap meet.....

To much :poop: :poop: :poop:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yeah - it's not just car shows, it happens at the race track too. Apparently EVERYBODY had a 65 Impala at one point. About a month ago I had this guy, 65-ish, overweight, rides up to me in the pit area on a golf cart, with his wife.

HIM: I sure do like that Impala
ME; Thanks!
HIM: Is it for sale?
Me: No
HIM: I'm serious, I buy lots of nice old cars
ME: Cool
HIM: So what would it take to buy it?
ME: It's not for sale
HIM: Would would it take to buy it today?
ME: What's your offer?
HIM: What do you want for it?
ME: If I had a for sale sign on it, it would be up to me to name a price. If you're going to keep on after I said it isn't for sale, you need to give me your all-in, no-negotiation, best price you'll pay. I'll give you a YES or NO.
HIM: (rides off on golf cart without another word)

Just another day in the life of an old car owner.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
In the late 80's I had a 1980 malibu with V6 and an open diff that would do burn outs on a hard right turn. Hard to believe I know.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Don't care if a stranger tells me HIS story about HIS car. Just don't start telling me what I should do with MY car.

I know MY car cuz I do all the work on it MYSELF and make all the decisions about it MYSELF for MY own reasons.

Period - Dot - End.

I do come here though for advice when I can't resolve ambiguities and appreciate the assistance.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I never understood the guys that always tried to one up you. They choose to come up to us (the car owner), perhaps make a compliment, perhaps a suggestion, or even a complaint. But then they go on to talk about the car they supposedly used to own that made more power and is faster than our car. I didn't ask, they don't have any proof, or even enough knowledge to make it believable, so what's the point?

1 - 20 of 136 Posts