Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a call from a female co-worker/ friend of my wife and I. Her ex-husband passed away and left their daughter a house and a garage full of Chev speed parts. Blocks, heads, cams, forged and cast cranks. Kind of overwhelming how much stuff is there. Her ex was a dragracer and built drag and stock car engines. It looks like he had 3 engine builds going at once. They asked me to help price this stuff out and I agreed before I saw how much there was but now I am committed. Anyway, so far there is interest in a 10069286 casting 454 4 bolt freshly machined block. About 10 BBC cranks so no idea which one is for that block. Rough price on the 286 block? Looks to be a 1990-1991 casting date, likely from an SS454 truck. Possible buyer for it. I realize everything will have to be checked as the information died with the owner. I told them to Google part numbers for recognizable parts and basically ask 1/2 of new. Now these folks did not know what a head, manifold or block was until I showed them so you can see the problem here. This is going to be a lot of work. There are a few items I am giving them a fair price for and they were trying to give me some for helping but I just want to see them not get robbed. Some A-hole offered them $2500 for the whole lot and they knew enough to tell him to hit the road. That's when they called me.

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
depending on what's there, 2500 might have been a good deal for the seller. around here vintage parts are pretty much a dead commodity. Sold a1970 350 4 bolt long block sunday for 50 bucks. sold a complete set of 781 heads for $100 and gave the guy a money back guarantee if the were cracked. sold std 69 427 crank, rods, pistons for $100, sold the complete machined block for $600.
A few years ago had a buddy offer me a yard full of chevy parts for $1500. 283, 350s, straight 6s, a flathead Ford, 3 speeds, a early 55 5 window body and a stock frame and a upgraded frame, a 84 long bed 4x4 with a rod knock. There was suppose to be a dual quad 409 in the mix but his brother already stole it. If the 409 was there, I would have bought it, kept the 55 truck and the rest would have been on its way to the scrap yard. jim

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stuff up in Canada is far more pricey than in the USA. Lots of pricey stuff in that garage, not just old parts. 2 new sets of Dart iron Eagle sbc heads. Aluminum BBC heads. Piles of new assorted gasket kits. Countless lifters, springs, rocker arms etc. I have barely begun to figure it out. Have to get some benches or tables to start itemizing crap since it's all over the place. What I need is a day alone in there not answering questions every 10 seconds or someone bringing me a beer. LOL

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
No matter how you slice it, it’s going to be a lot of work. And when you’ve sold everything of value there is still going to be a lot of scrap that you’ll never sell left over.
After you’ve spent the time sorting and identifying the good from the junk your still going to have to eBay or ??? And heavy parts are not fun/cheap to ship.
Let them bring you beer....

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
I was thinking is was a garage full of cores (sort of like my pile of junk that I can't seem to part with ) jim

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
368 Posts
Another consideration might be taking some (all ??) to a good swap meet (if or after COV-19 gone), but this usually entails a certain amount of work such a cleaning up parts, labeling, loading and unloading, having someone around who knows what things are worth to get fair pricing, then loading and unloading again.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I was in a similar situation and tried offering the whole lot of parts to people for $300, then $200. No takers. I spent the time to individually list parts on ebay and netted $2400. The worst part is finding the right size box and going to UPS or USPS. People who make their living on ebay earn it.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going over this morning to see how they are doing and sort through some stuff. I think the best move would be to throw out the crap and then itemize the good stuff.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
People who make their living on ebay earn it.
100%!! The time, the storage, the fees, and the risk of selling with 0 guarantee while the buyer has 100% guarantee....only worth it on certain inventory. The mainstream stuff is better off sold at swaps.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
Going over this morning to see how they are doing and sort through some stuff. I think the best move would be to throw out the crap and then itemize the good stuff.
I think the sooner you get to that beer, the better. :beers:

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Do not take the parts to a swapmeet. It is the worst place to sell generic big and bulky items.

First thing I’d do is separate all of the cast cranks, 2 bbl intakes, used or un identified camshafts and non-performance heads and scrap them. The value of those is minimal and not worth the time and effort. They need to determine how much time and effort they have or are willing to spend selling the items. They will get the most money cherry picking what they have and selling it on eBay, but do they have the time and patience to do so. The bulk of the items should probably be sold locally, in lots if possible.

I have a friend that did yard clearances and scrap metal on the side. He’d often tow cars and worn out equipment for ranchers, apartments and businesses. His wife worked at the DMV so she did the paperwork on the cars. He had a rule of thumb, he would only handle any item 3 times before it got scrapped. Any more than that and it wasn’t worth his time. There are exceptions and somebody without experience will not be that efficient, but it something to keep in mind. They don’t need to bog themselves down with a bunch of $10-20, focus on the items that are easy to move at a higher price, then be willing to deal.

I wish you all luck.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Once you get it all sorted out you may want to post a "garage sale" weekend on Craigs list or Kiigi maybe for 2 weekends before you start piling it up for the scrap yard.Any of the least valuable parts and assorted tools can be priced at a bargain price of $5 - $10.If you get $5 -$10 for a small block cylinder head that will be 2 or 3 times what you'll get for scrap price.
After that,all the more valuable parts like 454-427 blocks,cranks 4 bolt main motors can be separated and sold one at a time.Also keep your eyes open for 67-69 302 SBC's,70-350 LT1's or any other gems in the rough.Those can be put up on ebay with a good reserve price.

10068286.....90-91.....454.........4-Bolt IV..... Short deck

Here is a link that may be useful figuring out what you have over there.

Chevy Casting Number identification - Block casting numbers

It's pretty accurate and an easy printout if you need to take it with you.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got home from more itemizing. One thing I brought up is, did all this stuff actually belong to him or was he building it for a friend or customer? No idea. Looks like he was building a 496 with the 286 block, new Probe forged pistons etc. New Moroso pan but it is for a C10 truck or a big chev, Impala, Biscayne etc. He does not have either. Nice SBC build with H beam rods, splayed billet caps. forged pistons. New set of Dart Iron Eagle sbc heads I assume are for that short block. At the time of his death he no longer had a race car so where was this stuff going? So far no one has come forward looking for their parts and it is a small town where most car guys know each other. Puzzling as hell.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Those are both my engines. Just send them to me, I already paid for them, I swear :grin2:
Seriously though, I have an uncle that might be interested in the small block. He lives near Edmonton, but travels to Sask frequently.
Good call on asking if they belong to a customer, hate to sell it only to have someone knocking on the door looking for their engine!

Reactions: 68post

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those are both my engines. Just send them to me, I already paid for them, I swear :grin2:
Seriously though, I have an uncle that might be interested in the small block. He lives near Edmonton, but travels to Sask frequently.
Good call on asking if they belong to a customer, hate to sell it only to have someone knocking on the door looking for their engine!
He was well known around here. I will ask a few guys I know. There is a Chev straight 6 on a stand being built as well. PM me your # Chris and I will send you a pic of the sbc. I think it might actually be a stock car engine. Found a circle track pan near it.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
PM sent.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
That's nice of you to take the time to help them out... that's a big project to sell all of it. But you're right prices are higher up here and there's less availability. Really just depends how long they want to be selling parts for. Definitely advertise stuff into Winnipeg and Alberta to hit a bigger market. If there was a good running bbc to upgrade my 402, I might be interested... but it's hard buying the unknown

ak

·
Registered
617 Posts
I went through something similar a few years back. A old time drag race friend passed away in Las Vegas, and her sister needed to sell everything. Unfortunately, the sister lived in San Francisco, so I was left to run the estate sale.

Blocks, heads, cranks, new Venolia pistons and rods, all the other peripherals needed to build the motors. Plus there were 4 or 5 Lenco transmissions in various stages of completion.

The sister was in a hurry to sell the stuff, so I didn't have time to itemize everything. So I put an ad on CL for the whole lot, with pics and descriptions.

A few days later, a guy showed up from Texas, cash in hand, and bought the whole lot for $9500. He was into nostalgia drags and really liked the Lenco trannies.

I might have been able to get more if I separated and catalogued everything, but it was way easier for everyone involved this way. She was thrilled, he left with a large truck full of goodies, and I didn't have to bust my ass!

:smile2:

Reactions: 68post and Steve R

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I went through something similar a few years back. A old time drag race friend passed away in Las Vegas, and her sister needed to sell everything. Unfortunately, the sister lived in San Francisco, so I was left to run the estate sale.

Blocks, heads, cranks, new Venolia pistons and rods, all the other peripherals needed to build the motors. Plus there were 4 or 5 Lenco transmissions in various stages of completion.

The sister was in a hurry to sell the stuff, so I didn't have time to itemize everything. So I put an ad on CL for the whole lot, with pics and descriptions.

A few days later, a guy showed up from Texas, cash in hand, and bought the whole lot for $9500. He was into nostalgia drags and really liked the Lenco trannies.

I might have been able to get more if I separated and catalogued everything, but it was way easier for everyone involved this way. She was thrilled, he left with a large truck full of goodies, and I didn't have to bust my ass!

:smile2:
One thing often overlooked when clearing estates is memorabilia. These guys lived it and often don’t appreciate that it now has monetary value. A few years ago a casual acquaintance passed away, he’d been racing an Anglia since the 60’s all over the western United States. His Anglia went to a nostalgia racer in the Midwest and his hard parts sold almost instantly. Nobody wanted his file folders of fliers and poster, or his 100+ vintage T-shirts and baseball caps, many nearly new, most of which were from manufacturers and various events.

Steve R

1 - 20 of 33 Posts