Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got around watching this Mecum Indy in May of 2021. All 3 are original Nova L79’s with two being SS. Just look at the sell and Bid goes on prices. Wow!
Tire Wheel Automotive design Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Deep Pockets...man! If I had that kind of money imagine what I could do to my Chevelle....?
Good for the Seller the Buyer and the Auction House! I can only imagine spending that on a car I didn't do the work on...
They all got what they wanted. maybe it IS all about money!

Reactions: 427L88

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
A nicely restored L79 certainly demands good coin, for good reason. However, any time you want to use an auction price as a comparable for another car, all the facts and all the distinctions between the cars need to be considered.

All three of those cars are 1967 Chevy II's. They only built SIX (6) Chevy II L79's in 1967. And there was no higher horsepower engine available in a Chevy II, so it was the top of the mountain in that car. Not to mention a special block casting that is only for Chevy II's and is different from all other 1967 327's.

A car which is 1 of only 6 built, with the best engine offered in that model, is always going to bring a significant premium over the same engine option installed in another model and/or in another year car, if the engine was not as rare in that other year or model, and/or was not the highest HP offered in that other model that year.

It would be like comparing a 1965 Z16 396/375 (201 built) to a 1969 L78 396/375 (9,486 built). Apples and oranges to a certain degree. Or may oranges to tangerines is a better analogy!

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A nicely restored L79 certainly demands good coin, for good reason. However, any time you want to use an auction price as a comparable for another car, all the facts and all the distinctions between the cars need to be considered.

All three of those cars are 1967 Chevy II's. They only built SIX (6) Chevy II L79's in 1967. And there was no higher horsepower engine available in a Chevy II, so it was the top of the mountain in that car. Not to mention a special block casting that is only for Chevy II's and is different from all other 1967 327's.

A car which is 1 of only 6 built, with the best engine offered in that model, is always going to bring a significant premium over the same engine option installed in another model and/or in another year car, if the engine was not as rare in that other year or model, and/or was not the highest HP offered in that other model that year.

It would be like comparing a 1965 Z16 396/375 (201 built) to a 1969 L78 396/375 (9,486 built). Apples and oranges to a certain degree. Or may oranges to tangerines is a better analogy!
True but last year I saw a L30 67 Nova go for $150,000 and almost fell out of my chair. Those cars bring the green.

·
Registered
14,615 Posts
the 66 67 seems more popular than a first gen camaro. kick myself for getting rid of my 66 chevy 2. jim

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
I sold an original Black on Black 1966 Nova SS L79 4-spd 3.31 Posi 12-Bolt for $4500 to a Lt. Col. in June 1987 while stationed at McClellan AFB, CA. The only rust on the car was a repair to the driver's side foot well.

Reactions: Leadhead

·
Registered
360 Posts
I sold an original Black on Black 1966 Nova SS L79 4-spd 3.31 Posi 12-Bolt for $4500 to a Lt. Col. in June 1987 while stationed at McClellan AFB, CA. The only rust on the car was a repair to the driver's side foot well.
OUCH................

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for your loss. Obviously just joking David but that must have been a fun car to own. I mentioned earlier that a 67 L30 sold for $150,000. It was also a very sharp triple black car. It could have been a 66 too instead of a 67 as my memory could be off. Just imaging what your 66 would be worth today. If we only knew what we know today.

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like this one. Any chance it could be yours. Now I want one....

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Obviously just joking David but that must have been a fun car to own. I mentioned earlier that a 67 L30 sold for $150,000. It was also a very sharp triple black car. It could have been a 66 too instead of a 67 as my memory could be off. Just imaging what your 66 would be worth today. If we only knew what we know today.
I sold an original 1969 Z28 to a fellow in either Warren, MA or Ware, MA (can't remember which) so I could purchase my dream '66 SS. I was 30 and a USAF Staff Sergeant stationed at Westover AFB at the time and could not afford to keep both. Hind sight being 20/20 . . . . . . . . . . I should have found a way.
Like this one. Any chance it could be yours. Now I want one....
Yes although I replaced the original wheels/tires/hubcaps with a set of 14" Rally wheels. Restoration was not a consideration back then so I guess it would be considered a "day two" car although it was otherwise stock. I have some photographs of both somewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Amazing that 3 of 6 cars total crossed the block in one auction.
I am going to find that again and review it and see what they say about details. Not only is it amazing that 3 out of 6 were there I am amazed any survived never mind up for sale

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Amazing that 3 of 6 cars total crossed the block in one auction.
The first blue L79 they stated was original engine. No mention at all that only 6 were made and they have 3 there which I find extremely confusing as I would think that would make a major statement to the crowd that here are 3 of only the 6 made. I will dig more into that. Anyway that Blue one continues to the bid goes on at $170,000. Since this was a May 2021 auction maybe I will find more about them. I am interested to learn more since I may try and pick one up with either a L30 or L79

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
They did make a clear declaration of the 6 produced in '67. They also claimed only 3 were documented, and I'm assuming all 3 of these were of those cars. Possibly, but not sure, all the same seller, which would explain them all being sold at this particular auction.

Novas were not built with torsion bar suspensions, springs/shock towers.

·
Registered
13,362 Posts
IN MY BOOK, the value of ANY factory L79 car was NEVER in question.
About 1970, a close friend of mine had a blue L79 66 SS Nova ----------------------------with factory air cond, and I knew it would be a high dollar classic some day, but just could not afford his asking price of $1000!
I don't understand why anyone would be surprised at the prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1970 SS 396 25-C, 1966 SS R-R
909 Posts
The blue 67 with black vinyl top was restored by Jack Duer. He also had a tropical turquoise 66 l79 that was priced at $79,900 and sold. These cars were the best of the best.

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
They did make a clear declaration of the 6 produced in '67. They also claimed only 3 were documented, and I'm assuming all 3 of these were of those cars. Possibly, but not sure, all the same seller, which would explain them all being sold at this particular auction.

Novas were not built with torsion bar suspensions, springs/shock towers.
That's what I though until I looked at all the pics. Take a look and flip to the undercarriage pics. Unless the wrong pic was posted I was shocked to see torsion bars. Hell I never knew 64 Impala's had X frames until a few years back. The oldest car I ever owned was my 67 Barracuda Formula S. I am just a youngin;)

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Those aren't torsion bars, they're a-arm stablilizers much like the early mustangs...added due to the narrow mount points of the lower a-arms. Torsion bars ALWAYS run towards the rear of the car and are 90* to the pivot points or close to it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts