Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just turned 80 and I bought my first Chevelle. A 1970. Should arrive tomorrow, always seems to be raining or snowing when it arrives. The cowl tag, if real, claims it was made at the Kansas plant. It does have the infamous "L" code so who knows maybe an SS. Color on tag is marked 65 65 and some of the 70 paint chips list that code as Hugger Orange. Would be nice if it was, I think that color was a special order along with the yellow for 1970. It would be nice if you could find the build card. It has the 396 marking on the side of the fender but that engine has been replaced with a 454. should be able to keep up with traffic.:p

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase of a very cool car! I really like the Hugger Orange and Daytona Yellow special colors in 70. I think on a KC Leeds car they were designated with a - - on the trim tag. However it doesn't look like 65 was one of the 70 rpo color codes, so who knows. Maybe Dale at Chevellestuff? It is very likely a real SS. Maybe you'll be able to find a build sheet to verify that. Regardless, it is a very nice muscle car! I hope I'm still enjoying mine when I'm your age. I turned 58 today.

· Registered
10,286 Posts
hot cars
hot boats
hot planes
hot women
hard whiskey
If you're dead, you're too old!

· Registered
1,592 Posts
You make me feel good and a whole lot younger. Mighty bold color for 80, heh heh. Welcome and have fun with that new toy. I used to think it was a mid life crisis thing but now will reconsider and call it "late stage in life crisis".

· Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Good on you! I'm 74 and still playing. I drive a 66 Chevelle I've owned for 24 years, a 71 pickup I've owned for 25 years, and a 56 210 2 door that I've owned for 14 years. Currently working with my son-in-law on his 67 Malibu wagon. Looking forward to working with Philip on his 63 Nova wagon. It's all good!

· Premium Member
Rochester, New York
2,159 Posts
Congrats to you young man, and enjoy your new ride!
It would be fun to find documentation that it was born with the SS option, but if not; so what - you still own a real 70 Chevelle that walks & talks like it was! (y) 😎

Reactions: Freddy Mercado

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sure hope there are more car shows this year, especially in CT. I try to take them out everyday during nice weather but miss the friendships of the car shows. Let's hope for a better 2021.:cool:

· Registered
4,216 Posts
I love this post!! I'm 63 and sometimes think playing with these cars keeps us young. I remember when these cars first came out. I was at the Northern mall in 1968 and they had the new Chevrolets on display. They had this 1969 el Camino that was this real deep Plum color with black stripes amd black interior. WOW what a car. I always wanted one and finally got it almost 50 years later.. I was doing some volunteer work and one of the fellow volunteers was telling me about this 69 el camino his buddy was selling. It turned out to have everything I wanted and the price was very reasonable.. I think it was God thanking me for my service to humanity..

During my life anytime I got something I've been wanting, it always seemed to be either snowing or raining.. The day I got my Huffy Drag Bike it was raining, I loved that bike. It was my first real cool form of transportation I got.

· Premium Member
14,687 Posts
SSMan2, I have "miles to go" before i hit those milestones, Lord willin' and the creek dont rise. You are an inspiration sir! 👍

Oh yeah, nice ride to boot! :cool:

Reactions: SFD

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, Thank you 427L88, I know you will make it and then some, because you have already found the secret. You have to do things that force you to think young. I am not very mechanically inclined, but I enjoy doing what I can do. As the saying goes, what does't kill you just makes you stronger.

· Banned
3,754 Posts
Just turned 80 and I bought my first Chevelle. A 1970. Should arrive tomorrow, always seems to be raining or snowing when it arrives. The cowl tag, if real, claims it was made at the Kansas plant. It does have the infamous "L" code so who knows maybe an SS. Color on tag is marked 65 65 and some of the 70 paint chips list that code as Hugger Orange. Would be nice if it was, I think that color was a special order along with the yellow for 1970. It would be nice if you could find the build card. It has the 396 marking on the side of the fender but that engine has been replaced with a 454. should be able to keep up with traffic.:p
Wow how cool is that ??
What a time that must have been to be 30 years old . 1970 !
.everything was just cooler then .
Nostalgia. I love it !
That was a hot car then and its hotter now!
Certainly worth a few more duckets now than then lol
..makes me a little sad . I was a little boy then and the ole man was right about your age at that time . He had bought a 66 SS off the showroom In 66. Danube blue it was .
I lost em back in 13 .
. Hey enjoy that sweet ride you got there man !! Thanks for showin it !

· Premium Member
2,682 Posts
SS MAN2. Nice ride and congratulations. I hope to still be rowing the gears in my 72 when I’m 80.
Good luck with it.... love the color.

· Premium Member
14,687 Posts
we have a few of the rare SSMAN2 types up here who race in a "senior nostalgia" class at one of the local strips. 66 or older iron. MOST of the fellas are late sixties, early 70'.s

A 72 yr old friend of mine was very bummed on covid halting the racing season last year temporarily. " At my age, I don't know how many seasons I have left". But we got back to racing in NY, and Nick, who has been racing for 20+ years since just before he retired from Kodak , WON the Gasser Racing Series championship. At 73, he gets to race again this year! Thank the Lord.

Watching his 1939 Ford ( PG/sbc/ 4link btw) leave with a 1.30 60' is absolutely "poetry-in-motion"!

PS, this year I get to race against my old 427 which a retired Lincoln Ford tech, Louie, at the ripe age of 70, threw into a 56 Ford 4 door, T400 , 4.56s. Gonna be close!

Louie's quote to me a few years back when I delivered the 427 was priceless..... I lit a smoke up after stepping outside the barn. Louie says, " Yeah I used to smoke and drink until I retired. Now, I'm having so much darn fun, I don't want it to stop! So I gave it all up!"

Wisdom right there. Wisdom from a retired Ford tech I am heeding like it came form my Savior. Well, I still puff a tobacco pipe and have a pint of Guinness every so often, but WORD!

· Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Louie says, " Yeah I used to smoke and drink until I retired. Now, I'm having so much darn fun, I don't want it to stop! So I gave it all up!"

Wisdom right there.
Wow. Can’t agree more. That is just an awesome quote. Hopefully we all get to enjoy that life in our retirement years!

Reactions: 427L88
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.