Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
i am also interested in the answer. i am ready to start my seats and i cannot find foam in canada.since i have to pay the border guys anyway i might as well buy the best foam.
i think i am going to use legendary for seat covers and am wondering about their foam. less trimming the better.
scuddy

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
I think you'll have a pretty tough time getting a truly subjective answer to that question.

·
Registered
634 Posts
fwiw...when I did my research a few months ago most folks said "American Cushion Industries" so I bought those. Now that the seats are installed I think they turned out very well and they're fairly comfortable too...at least way better than the bench seat I took out.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
I also used the American Cushion Industries sold at NPD and my interior man said they were good ones to use.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
please let me know the quality of the legendary foam as i am going to order their coverings and that would make it easier.

paul

·
Registered
503 Posts
American Cushion is what we use and sell. They are the best available. no trimming, and they give a limited lifetime warranty against defect.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
One of my buddies redid his buckets completely with new foam and covers.

They look great but are too firm to sit on.

So firm that his head hits the headliner when he sits and this does not happen with a normal "sagged" seat.

Anyone else run across this problem?

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
My head hit the liner when I first put my redone buckets in, but I also used new springs for the seat bottom, so I was expecting to be sitting much higher. One month later, no issues with the headliner anymore. 64elkynss

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
if your head is in the headliner you bought the wrong foam.

·
Registered
823 Posts
A friend just bought some form CARS, Inc. here in Michigan for a 67 chevelle and he said there way to stiff and his head hits the ceiling and thats with using the old springs. Needless to say he was not happy .

·
Registered
231 Posts
if your head is in the headliner you bought the wrong foam.

Not true,the foam will compress after it has been sat on a few time,and after the coers have been on them for awhile.Been down that road too many times with new foam and customers,then after a month or so of the covers being on and some use they are real happy.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Not true,the foam will compress after it has been sat on a few time,and after the coers have been on them for awhile.Been down that road too many times with new foam and customers,then after a month or so of the covers being on and some use they are real happy.
Not true, I had the wrong foam for 4 years and it NEVER compressed.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
So Donnie1, what is the right foam?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not true, I had the wrong foam for 4 years and it NEVER compressed.
Unless they/you got the foam for a different set of buckets it will compress.I install about 60 or so new set's of foam bun's a year and have never had one not compress some after time.Now if you have any of the springs replaced the seat will sit alot higher.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
ACI is the foam to buy.

the stuff I got that was to stiff came from opgi and it was correct for 70 Chevelle buckets and it Never settled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just ripped my PUI seat covers trying to stretch them over seat foam I bought from Musclefactory. I am sure it is my fault having never did upholstery before, but.....

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Not necessarily your fault, the opgi covers I initially purchased for my 66 were much smaller (bench seat tops) than the originals and my pro installer warned me they would be a fight and subsequently ripped the stitching. Had to purchase another set but not from them.

Jerry

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.