Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a ground up restoration/customization of a 1970 chevelle, I have got the disc brakes and related items off of a 1970 Monte Carlo donor car. My question is this; What color are all of the different parts supposed to be? Especially wondering how to restore the disc (guards)? (The round thin piece of metal that protects the disc?) Any info would be much appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Soundkat,
It's very difficult to give a description of restoration colors over the computer. Most suspension components and brake components were either satin black or left the natural color. Now here's the kicker. GM used different shades of black for different components.

My advice is this. If you want a car that looks good and do not care about originality, paint everything the same shade. It'll look clean, and no one will notice.

Painting the undercarriage can get very expensive, very quickly when you add up the cost of sandblasting, priming and all of those different shades of satin black. Remember, this stuff is about $30-$40 per can. You also will need to get the correct shade of inspection paint to put on the ends of the tie rods and other suspension peices. If you still want to go the original route, I suggest that you get a restoration guide like those that we offer on this site. Check "Chevelle Books" on the main page.

------------------
Ted Stojkovski
(formerly Skunkynuggets)
(so add about 300+ posts)
Syracuse NY
Team Chevelle #172

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
The brake backing plates were clear zinc plated, a silver color...the spindle was natural cast iron, and the bracket for the brake caliper was gold cadmium plated.
The brake caliper itself was natural cast iron. The bolts that hold it all together were dark phosphate coated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, I really appreciate your input!!! I have another question, a friend told me about assembly manuals or something to that effect. Where would I find one?
Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Soundkat
Try the following links. Skip left a lot of useful information for us. www.chevelles.com/shop/index.shtml and www.chevelles.com/shop/resto_5.html
If you look at the front page of Team Chevelle www.chevelles.com , you will find lots of useful links.

Finally most after market parts suppliers sell assembly manuals. Try Groundup at www.grounduppm.com/chevelle.shtml . Good luck!

------------------
Rick (Abilene Texas)
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4
Aces #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #00038

[This message has been edited by rick (edited 10-06-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.