Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has tricks for removing 50 years of crud off the bottom?
I started with power washer, then putty knife, then angle grinder with wire wheel, then angle grinder with flapper wheel for paint prep.
Any other creative ideas? I am old and don't have the stamina I used to.
I'm to the point where I think the frame must come off to do it right. Until I get the dice to do that, what makes it easier?
Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
Diesel fuel brushed on the crud and let set for 24 hours, then scrapper. Maybe enough diesel to soak all the way in.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Everything you have done. I went through two of these:Red Devil 6291EZ 11-In-1 Multi-Purpose Decorating Tool. Plus a lot of time and effort

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Who has tricks for removing 50 years of crud off the bottom?
I started with power washer, then putty knife, then angle grinder with wire wheel, then angle grinder with flapper wheel for paint prep.
Any other creative ideas? I am old and don't have the stamina I used to.
I'm to the point where I think the frame must come off to do it right. Until I get the dice to do that, what makes it easier?
Thanks
Two words, heat gun. This is what everyone doing this is using to heat the undercoat for easy removal.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,202 Posts
My car was fairly clean when I started doing the bottom. I used a scraper first to remove any remaining undercoat. I cleaned any residue with gasoline. To remove any rust or paint I used a hand drill and 2 different 4" fiber type wheels. The coarser one I bought at HomeDepot and the finer one which was made by 3M I got at Walmart. These wheels work 10 times better than any wire brush. The finer one is like the 3M Scotchbrite pad material. Here is a slide show of how good they work.
http://s814.photobucket.com/user/12bolt/slideshow/71 Malibu Restoration Progress

When I found out there was no way to get the new pre-bent fuel line up over the rear cross member I decide to jack the body up off the frame one side at a time and put the new fuel line in and replace all the body mount bushings and bolts.
http://s814.photobucket.com/user/12...oration Progress/Body Mount Bushing Replacing

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try the fiber ones. I've not used those before. Your car looks great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts