Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to order a set for my 72 454 Elcamino.
Summit has two I am looking at. Pg.166 has a system (no mufflers). Anyone use that?? 169 has a 42553 three chamber. $64.95. Are these too loud??
Pg 169 also has 50 series 942553 $89.95. are thes quieter, better?
How about the truck BB ones refered to? are they louder, better??
thanks for the info.
Need to get an exhaust set up this month.

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 El Camino
68 RS/SS Camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4

·
Registered
687 Posts
Big block series mufflers are the quietest.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
Team Chevelle Gold #127
Bassett,VA

·
Registered
900 Posts
Mr.D I used the 3 chamber Flows on my SB with 2.5" to muff and 2.25" tails and love the sound.It's not to loud inside but sound great outside. Hope to do the same on my 402BB elcam. this winter..
Rick

·
Registered
368 Posts
Mr. D
I have a flowmaster system on my '69 Elky SS 350 HP. This is their quiet system, 5"x12"x22" muffler cans on 2 1/2" pipes with a balance tube. It's a litle loud for my taste when cold. Want to hear it, just click on the link to my web site and wait (and wait and wait).

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've got 3 chambers - not too loud inside, but sound COOOOOOOOOL outside.
I have heard that 2 chambers are pretty loud inside the car and resonate at highway RPMs.
Previous postings say they removed the 2 chambers due to noise.
Got em from Summit.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough to do it over?
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have 2 1/2-->2-chamber flows with cutoffs and turndowns in my 68 and I LOVE how loud it is (to use a cliche-if it's too loud you're too old!).

I don't hear the highway resonance so much--I think it's 'cause of that big ol' bed. Or maybe because I listen to my stereo too loud.

However, I'm the exception to the rule (I like the 2-chambers). If you don't really like a loud car, your best bet is the 3 chamber mufflers. The actual pipe is up to you.

To use a friend's catch phrase, "Loud pipes save lives!"

------------------
--Amanda :)

Proud owner of a 68 ElCam

"Sometimes the only reason to get out of bed in the morning is to wear a new shirt."

·
Registered
738 Posts
Like Amanda, I too use the 2 chamber Flows on my Chevelle. I just switched to them this past summer and the difference is very nice. I was using 'Terminator' turbos before and was looking for a different tone altogether.

The 2 chamber flows in my car are loudest while the car is in park or at idle while cold. There is some interior resonnance at that point. However, there is no highway resonnance at all in my car while cruising. My exhuast is 2.5" and dumps before the axle. I am sure that if it had tailpipes, the louder resonnance would clear up a lot. I personally like it louder. Hope this helps.

------------------
'70 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Houston, Texas Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies.

67SS
Are the BB / truck series three chamber?

Flywheel
Rick, I like your user name.
So you feel the three chambers won't resonate my brain out of my head while driving?

John6066
Sounds like I need to stay away from the 2 chambers. 69 SS BB eh? Sounds like a neat ride.

Fred
Thanks for the link. It is louder while cold??
283v8
Do you recall the part # of your mufflers?
Can't wait to hear them

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've got the Flowmaster pipe kit on my '67, but I went with the Dynomax mufflers. I made that choice because of previous discussions on this site. I've got the 2.5 pipe w/H pipe going straight out the back. Can't say I don't like them...a little cheaper than Flowmaster mufflers but, some say, just as good or better.

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
'67 Malibu Street Machine
"Under Construction"
Gold #43
I've heard that the memory is the second thing to go.
I don't remember what the first thing is!?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks again for all the input.
Now I just have to get out the check book !!

Mr. D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.