Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question for those that have Chevelle clocks that still tick-tick-tick.

About how often does the clock make a sharp click noise. (This is the rewinding of the mainspring)

I'm working on a Chevelle clock and got it going but it "rewinds" about every 1 min. 10 seconds, does that sound right?

·
Super Moderator
15,903 Posts
Mine winds about every 45 seconds (65 top-of-the-dash clock) so yours doesn't sound like it is doing too bad.

One tip for keeping/getting your clock working: the thing winds itself with a little electrical relay. When the relay points get carbon-ed up the clock stops working. Carefully clean the points (very tiny so be careful!) and the rest of the mechanism and oil lightly and it should begin working fine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have rebuilt three clocks in the past 4 months. Rich is right about the contacts and lubrication. Most of these clocks stop because the lube was too light or missing completely. I use a small flat jewelers file to dress the contacts.
It sounds like yours is working fine.

------------------
1967 Malibu
1967 Impala SS396 Conv.
"Let me show you how the guards used to do it."

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
I just installed an NOS clock in the 70 conv with sweep dash. I have never timed the "clicks", but it seem like 1-2min.

Also, when I installed it, I connected the power to a terminal that is hot ONLY when the ign is on. That way the clock isn't running ALL the time and should last a lot longer.
Yes, I have to set it each time I get in, which isn't very often.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
196 Posts
Can someone mention how to rebuild these clocks? I have 3 for 71-72 dash and grounded the casing out and hooked 12v wire to the bat terminal and cant get any of them to work. They are all in perfect shape and when you set the time yourself the gears dont bind or anything. I only need one but, never have taken them apart.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

Yes, I knew all about the lube problems and electro-mechanical problems.

I used a really good teflon lubricant that has a wide range of temperatures and doesn't attract dust (it's what I use when I restore radios).

Then I added a diode across the the coils to prevent excessive arcing (the small spark that results when the two contact zaaap together. this will increase the longevity of the contacts.

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steven-

I'm going to put an on-line tutorial on how these clocks work on my homepage, just be patient.

I took some pictures of the process and will scan them.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Aw, Coppertop! I'm a day late and a dollar shy, just sent mine in to Instrument Repair for retrofitting. Would;ve like to try my habd at it first ( with an experts guidance of course).

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gene, man sorry to hear that.

Those places like Instrument Servic, Clock Doc, etc do a good job, I just like to keep things original, that is the tic-tic motion. When you convert yours they do last and are a lot more trouble-free, but loose the tic-tic motion.

I'll try to have a good page on this with lots of pics. These things do require patience!

My first priority is this website's radio pages I'm working on though.

BTW, I just got done talking to a very knowlegable clocksmith, he said anywhere from 40 secs. to 2 mins is acceptable for the rewind rate (how often you hear the littl click).

Hope this helps!

Joe

·
Registered
172 Posts
My clock hasn't worked since I've owned the car, but it seems to tell the correct time twice a day

I'll wait till I see your pics, Coppertop and see if its something I would do myself.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have 2 clocks in my car. One tic-tic one & one on the CD player. They both don't work! CD player is messed up & tic-toc one is laying in the backseat. One day...they will get fixed.

------------------
Jay W. (aka 'Milner' or 'Fonz')
In-the-works 67 Malibu
My page with my ugly mug on it!
Backyard Builders

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you ever put the clock tutotorial together? If so can you tell me how to get to that page to print it. I have a 68 SS Chevelle an 72 RS/Z28 and a 71 R/T Challenger and not one of those clocks work. All I know about how to fix them which I think I'm going to try is from reading on this tech line. Thanks Steve please email me at: [email protected]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coppertop:
Steven-

I'm going to put an on-line tutorial on how these clocks work on my homepage, just be patient.

I took some pictures of the process and will scan them.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.