Team Chevelle banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone made this conversion from auto. colomn shift,to auto. on floor with horseshoe shifter and console , this year? Is the repro. shift cable as good of quality as the original GM one? And does anyone have a pic. of the exact location where I should drill a hole and what size hole for the shifter cable? I was going to buy a cable and a cable installation kit from Shiftworks. I also have a rear console bracket that I have to weld to the floor yet. Is this everything that I need? Mark 1968 Chevelle Malibu (Weekend Cruiser) 1969 Chevelle Malibu (Daily Driver)

·
Premium Member
Central Iowa
2,037 Posts
Bo, if you are buying something from shiftworks, call the man...you may have to leave a message... he will get back to you!He will answer what ever you ask him about the conversion and possibly tell you some stuff you don't ask?When I did my PG to 350 conversion I got my stuff from shifworks and with the kit he also sent a paper template to tape on the floor for marking the spot for cable hole...worked fine for me(very simple)Also, I would wait till you get shifter and cable mounted and working properly in the right spot trial fitting console as you go...making sure console is where you want it!!! Hope this info helps you. DANO

·
Registered
244 Posts
There is an impression on the hump where the hole for the cable goes. It's pushed up with a flat face on it. Can't remember the hole diameter, but just measure the grommet. Also, there are dimples in the floor where the console front bracket gets mounted. I trial fitted the console after installing the shifter cable to locate the rear console bracket. Also used a Shiftworks kit to convert the PG shifter.
Joe

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
When changing from the column to the floor shifter, you'll have to have the wiring harness for the console (neutral safety switch, backup lights). There are two harnesses, the one in the console and the extension harness to connect the under dash to the console.

If your car wasnt an original console car, you'll have to find the wires in the underdash harness for the console harness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts