Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a little science experiment to use vinegar to remove rust and wanted to share.

I had read about this stuff before here and elsewhere- vinegar, molasses(wouldn't that be a horrible mess?) and electrolysis solution (I had meant to try the electrolysis method forever but never got around to it) but never really was motivated to try it until i watched a youtube video that was posted on another site.
Anyway- Long story short, i decided to try it out.

Bought 5 gallons of the cheapest white vinegar albertsons had. (2.50 a gallon i think) and dumped it into a rubbermaid bin.

I took a set of really nasty rusty seat tracks off one of my waiting projects and tossed em in and left them for 5 days.

(sorry or the crappy pic, but its the best i got... but they were really crusty and rusty)

Today, I opened it up, scrubbed them with a kitchen sink dish brush, and the rust just wipes off. I probably had 2-3 mins worth of scrubbing on each one, then soaked each with brakecleaner and wiped them off.

The orange haze is flash rust i think, wasnt there initially after cleaning them off- but after about an hour they all showed it, never got worse. Just now I hit each with a bit of scotch bright for a second and it came right off and ready for paint.

anyway- I am totally blown away by how easy this was.. and since its just vinegar, when you are done, you can go dump it on the weeds in your gravel driveway, its a natural herbicide!

A few friends have told me since i started this experiment they've been doing this on metal parts for years- but was news to me, and now i'm a believer!

may have to get a bigger bin and try it on a rusty spring assembly or maybe even a bucket frame if i can do half at a time...

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
Ben looks like it cleaned up those tracks pretty well. The only advantage to the electrolosis would be it is quicker. Can be done in hours as opposed to days. The electrolosis solution after being used can also be dumped on your grass as I believe it is rich in fertilizing chemicals. However the electrolosis needs to be monitored as positvely charged collectors should have the collected rust particles removed a few times during the process. Sounds like the vinegar is set it and forget it.
Good job. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
69 chevelle malibu convertible
3,422 Posts
Just don't leave it too long :) I found out the hard way, I was too lazy to clean some bolts by hand. The vinegar took care of them for me. All of them. There's a toothpick sized bit of each one left with a little shrunken head on it.

make sure the entire part is submerged, too, otherwise the part exposed to air above the vinegar will rust horribly.

Those tracks came out great! What's next, painting them?

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts

now i'm a believer!

may have to get a bigger bin and try it on a rusty spring assembly or maybe even a bucket frame if i can do half at a time...
Gonna try that too...thanks for sharing

There's a toothpick sized bit of each one left with a little shrunken head on it.
Good grief, how long were those bolts in there?.....:D

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
On this channel next week, "Acid dipping for weight loss and speed". ;)

Where I live now they have banned weed killer (unless you are a farmer) so what I use is vinegar with a small amount of dish soap. Spray it on weeds and see them shrivel within an hour.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Do you think this would work on a surface rusted pair of headers?
Sure it would except you couldn't stop the flash rusting on the insides of the tubes. Not sure you would be so far ahead..

Rambo, I did try electrolysis on one the bucket seats I just recovered. I will post my pics and thoughts later tonight.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Here is a Seat back frame I did overnight, My rubbermaid bin was only big enough to do half the frame at a time..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts