Chevelles.com banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Assuming you are not not doing a "correct" restoration and you have to do what the factory did, and If you bought a real tire and not some cheap pieces of crap, be PROUD of what you bought and show the letters! I was born and raised a BFG man, my Dad was a 34 year employee. I want the world to KNOW what kind of tires I have.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just my .02c With stock SS wheels I like the white lettering out. On Cragers and Centerlines white in. Helps the wheels, trim and paint stand out... IMOO. 40 year old pic of a pic before it was restored. :)

John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
I don't remember white letter tires on 66 Chevelles when they were new. I do remember white wall tires back then.
I run the letters in on my Chevelle, 56 210 and 71 pickup.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,376 Posts
:cool: For me it kind of depends of the brand of the tire. If they are a major brand put the letters out. If they are "cheaper looking" then in.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Aftermarket wheels in. Stock wheels out. This is of course that are true white letters and not the outline white letters.
Agree with this 100%. Rallys and SS wheels look best with white letters, but I think all aftermarket wheels look best with blackwalls. Same for steelies and dog dish caps.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I like anything that breaks up the "black hole" effect on the side of a car. That is why I despise black wheels with every fiber of my being.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Black walls look ok on new cars with large diameter rims and low sidewalls. I think 66/67 and 68 look great with redlines and white lettered. 69-72 White letters only as long as it is not ugly lettering. 70-72 Firestone Wide Ovals (radials) with factory SS wheels look great. Restomods look best with black walls.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
White letters in, side stripe. White letters out no side strip. whats up with that???
69 is the only year that I don't really like the super sport stripes. I knew once I bought the car, we had "dead stripes walking".
I did contemplate on adding the hood and trunk lid stripes like yours. Maybe one day i'll do it.

Good job picking that up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Anybody else think it is time for smaller font white letters, ala the Goodyear PolyGlas GT style to make a comeback, even as far as putting small 1/2 tall white letters on the 17", 18", 19+" stuff....even red line, gold line, or blue line on that large diameter low profile stuff??

I'm ready for it as a new style trend!

Black wall tires, black wheels, "murdered out" black trim is really getting on my nerves now days. I'm tired of seeing it everywhere.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Black wall tires, black wheels, "murdered out" black trim is really getting on my nerves now days. I'm tired of seeing it everywhere.
Anyone else think that in 20 years we'll be looking back on this trend the same way we look at early 1990s pastel pink monochrome pro-street cars with loud graphics on the side? Something tells me this "murdered out" trend will not age well. I'd be happy to see it go away....

·
Registered
675 Posts
In or out depends on the wheel and tire package that you intend to run. Guys that usually run hot rods with satin centerlines and larger tires always go black wall out. guys that run rallys usually go letters out. all depends on your cars attitude suspension height and color

21 - 40 of 51 Posts