Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another newbie question. Bought some new Mickey Thompsons for my 66 and wanted to get a little advice on white letters out or in. When I was a teenager the white letters were always a sign of a cool badass car. Today it seems more do the black out. What is your thoughts/ pictures would be nice. I have a couple weeks before the rears get in. I have 225 70R15 for the front and 275 60R15 for the rear. I also changed to the Rallye Rims

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
376 Posts
I had white letters some of the time back in the day, but I also had all black and redline (my '67 Chevelle L78 came that way new!). For these days, my rating from top to bottom would be: redline, black, white letters.

Your '66 looks really nice btw!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Out ok on trucks .... Cars, not so much ....

Reactions: pannetron

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
This time around I went with the letters in.

Reactions: pannetron

·
Premium Member
12,716 Posts
I think they look good either way, however I think with black walls the eye is drawn more to the wheels and paint. So if you have what you believe to be good looking wheels and paint go black. I think that 66 looks good the way it is.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Aftermarket wheels in. Stock wheels out. This is of course that are true white letters and not the outline white letters.

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
In my opinion, it depends upon what the tire is. BFG Radial TA, Goodyear (almost any but especially) Polyglass GT, Firestone Wide Ovals, Uniroyal Tiger Paws, etc. look good out. Cooper Cobras, no. Jaybird Mohawk XTS, no.

·
Premium Member
1970 Chevelle SS396
136 Posts
Well, I have to agree with "your car your choice". Having come from the muscle car era of the 60's and 70's white letter tires were "in", cool and I had to have Goodyear Polyglas GT's on my 69 GTO with ET mags. I happen to really like the look still and especially on my 70SS. It will be a personal choice for you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
I'm biased, but my tires are radials...>:)

·
Registered
368 Posts
In the 70's I ran Dunlop GT Qualifiers on my 72 Nova, while my brother ran BF Goodrich Radial TAs on his 67 Firebird. Of course back then we always ran them with the white letters out. I think if you're going for that vintage look, run them letters out. Otherwise whichever way you think is best. With redlines there is no decision to be made... run them OUT! :)

I think it's interesting how over the years we've become accustomed to paying to advertise, be it tires, your favorite beer, etc on your t-shirt, your recent vacation spot, etc., etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
1,574 Posts
Obviously these days it's acceptable to run either in or out, so I agree with Dean - your choice. You can't be wrong :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts