Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of weird. I reconditioned my exhaust manifolds this winter. After I was done I deceided to take the intake of for cleaning so I could repaint it along with the area of the heads on the top of the engine. So after taking the intake off, I then cleaned the head areas and repainted the head area on the top of the engine. I also had noticed two push rods were bent, so I replaced them. When turning the engine to adjust the rockers there was the whistling/screetching noise. It happens about every two revolutions and seems to be comming from the#4 or #6 area of the head. Then about every 3-4 revoltions I hear a softer screetch noise coming from the # 3 or # 5 area. Intake is still off. This is a 66 396 BB Any ideas which might have caused this? Maybe I got some dust into the combustion areas. Any ideas of what to do?:( Thanks

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill. I didn't mention it; but I had duck taped cardboard over the area when the intake went and put duct tape over the intake area of the heads. Well I guess that whisting/ screatching noise was air excaping around the duct tap/ cardboard. I removed it and low and behold I can't re-create the noise no matter how many times I turn the engine over.

In the book it says to tighten the rockers untill the pushrod does not turn and then give it one more turn. Is this what you guys recommend or just tighten it until the pushrod does not turn? Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts