Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently rebuilt the tilt column in my 70 chevelle and ever since when ever the battery is hooked up the the horn relay makes a loud whining noise. What is the problem?? thanks for all help in advance

Levi

------------------
1970 SS 427 In progress
1971 SS 350 School Car
Cut me some slack i'm only 16 years old!

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
That sounds like the "KEY WARNING MINDER" buzzer built into the horn relay. This technology debuted in the 1968 Chevelles. When you leave your key in the ignition and open the driver's door, you complete the ground path via the black wire with pink stripe (small 20 gauge wire) to the horn relay causing it to make that annoying whinning sound.

Sounds like when you rebuilt your column, you left out/smashed/altered the small contact switch inside responsible for detecting if the key is in the lock chamber. If this is the case, there's a simple way to find out, unplug the connector at the bottom of the horn relay that has the black with pink stripe wire. Does the noise go away???

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hey Coppertop. My key reminder buzzer sounds anytime my key is in the ignition. If I understand correctly, it's only suppose to work if the door is open? I would like it to work correctly so what do I need to do?
Jody

------------------
jodysss396 (or Jody)
1969 Chevelle SS396
Fathom Green
Numbers Matching
TC member #921
A.C.E.S. #4348

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Jody,

You are correct. This was GM's idea of anti-theft--reminding you to remove the forgotten key. The only time it should buzz is with the key in the ignition AND the driver's side door open.

Sounds like the someone has altered/damaged the ground "sense" wire so it is grounded all of the time.

Remove the door jamb switch (the little plunger) that pops out when the door is open. This operates the dome light AND completes the ground path for the buzzer. When you pull it out, it should have the correct style--one with (2) spade lugs, one for each wire--the white wire and the black wire. The white wire provides the ground path for the dome light, and the black wire is the key buzzer. The should be on their own contacts--not the SAME one! Some people think they can go to an auto parts store for a new switch with a single connector and simply wire the (2) wires together--wrong! They both "see" ground at the same time when the door is open, but they are NOT connected together.

Is the black wire connected there? Is it smashed/incorrectly hooked-up??

If that seems okay, trouble may be in the steering column

The system works like this:

The buzzer always has +12 volts at all times. It needs a ground to buzz.

When the key is in the ignition cylinder, it close a contact that links the buzzer wire (the black with pink stripe) to the door switch. (via the solid black wire). It still doesn't buzz because it doesn't see ground yet. The minuit you open that driver's door BUUUZZZZZZ. The door plunger switch grounds out, now the current has a path from ground, thru the door switch, thru the black wire, thru the key minder switch (cause the key is in) then thru the black with pink stripe wire back to the horn relay which contains the buzzer.

Worst case scenario:

The minder switch in the column is screwed up or a wire leading to it in the column is screwed up causing it to ground out all of the time. You'd have to pull the steering wheel and turnsignal crap out to get to it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks Coppertop. Gives me some places to check. I also have a push button for starting and will probably need new ignition switch also.
Jody

------------------
jodysss396 (or Jody)
1969 Chevelle SS396
Fathom Green
Numbers Matching
TC member #921
A.C.E.S. #4348

1 - 5 of 5 Posts